Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 3.6 Download

Hi I have Aperture 3.5.1 but it seems I need Aperture 3.6 so i can view RAW files from a Canon 7D Mk 2. I cannot find the download on the Apple support site or App Store. I have Aperture in my purchase history on the App Store.

Can anyone help with this?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 4 GB 1333 MH

Posted on Jun 29, 2018 2:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2018 2:01 AM

Aperture is no longer sold from the App Store, because Apple stopped the development. Aperture 3.6 is required for MacOS 10.10.3 or newer versions of macOS X. It is not possible to upgrade to this version on an older system.

You can try to upgrade to Aperture 3.6, if you are running MacOS 10.10.3 or newer by reinstalling Aperture. This will work, if Aperture is showing in your purchase history at the AppStore, see: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-8402

Which system are you running? Even Aperture 3.6 does not support the new RAW Support that has been released after the Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 6.17, that came out on El Capitan. But your Camera is already supported by Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 6.01, that has been released with Yosemite, Digital camera RAW formats supported by OS X Yosemite - Apple Support

So upgrading to El Capitan or Yosemite should give you the RAW support you need. But you can only update Aperture to 3.6, if you are running a system that is compatible with Aperture 3,6.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2018 2:01 AM in response to Mike Jefferson

Aperture is no longer sold from the App Store, because Apple stopped the development. Aperture 3.6 is required for MacOS 10.10.3 or newer versions of macOS X. It is not possible to upgrade to this version on an older system.

You can try to upgrade to Aperture 3.6, if you are running MacOS 10.10.3 or newer by reinstalling Aperture. This will work, if Aperture is showing in your purchase history at the AppStore, see: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-8402

Which system are you running? Even Aperture 3.6 does not support the new RAW Support that has been released after the Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 6.17, that came out on El Capitan. But your Camera is already supported by Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 6.01, that has been released with Yosemite, Digital camera RAW formats supported by OS X Yosemite - Apple Support

So upgrading to El Capitan or Yosemite should give you the RAW support you need. But you can only update Aperture to 3.6, if you are running a system that is compatible with Aperture 3,6.

Jun 30, 2018 5:44 AM in response to Mike Jefferson

This page describes how to upgrade to El Capitan: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT206886

Before you upgrade your system make a full backup - with Time Machine or a bootable clone, so can revert to your current system, if you should not be able to download Aperture 3.6 after all. Your current version will no longer run on Yosemite or El Capitan.

2) Then I can upgrade Aperture to 3.6 as I have it in my App Store purchasing history from 2011. From what you're saying, I understand that in the App Store Aperture will change from a greyed out installed button, to a download/update button as my system will then be compatible with Aperture 3.6 to enable the upgrade.

Yes, you should be able to download Aperture 3.6, as it is in your Purchase history. But the update tab will not work. You have to move the Aperture.app from the Applications folder to the Trash (do not empty the Trash), then launch the AppStore and open the Purchases tab. Aperture should now be showing "Install". Click "install" to install the current version 3.6.

3) Then download Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 6.01. Presumably once upgraded this will also enable me to see the pictures from this camera in Preview as well, as I can't do this either at present? (I can only see them using the Canon RAW Software).

This RAW compatibility upgrade should be included in the El Capitan download. Aperture should be able to use it directly.

I would go first to El Capitan, see, if you can get Aperture to work well, and only then try to proceed to High Sierra. The reason I am hesitating to recommend to jump right in and upgrade all the way is, that I could not get my 2011 MacBook Pros to work well with High Sierra, but they worked well on El Capitan.

Finally, I was told that you can take your computer into an Apple Store and they will remove old operating systems from the computer which prevents the system slow downs I normally experience as I keep the OS up to date. Do you know if this is the case?

I don't know about this. You could ask this in the High Sierra forum.

Jun 30, 2018 3:00 AM in response to léonie

Many thanks Leonie.

To summarise, so I have the correct action plan(!):

1) I need to upgrade from Mavericks which I am currently on (2011 iMac - didn't want to slow systems down further) to Yosemite or better.

2) Then I can upgrade Aperture to 3.6 as I have it in my App Store purchasing history from 2011. From what you're saying, I understand that in the App Store Aperture will change from a greyed out installed button, to a download/update button as my system will then be compatible with Aperture 3.6 to enable the upgrade.

3) Then download Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 6.01. Presumably once upgraded this will also enable me to see the pictures from this camera in Preview as well, as I can't do this either at present? (I can only see them using the Canon RAW Software).

Please confirm.

At present I'm just borrowing the camera short term but it is one I would like to buy in future. I believe Aperture is still useable on High Sierra and hopefully will continue to be so for subsequent upgrades when I come to replace this iMac (given it still seems to be useable on upgrades to High Sierra as i understand it). I wouldn't want to do all of this and slow my computer down particularly on a day to day basis for something I don't use every day, especially if I will only have a few pictures from that camera (1800 or so possibly!) if that makes sense. But, if this is something I need to do now so in future I can update the cameras Aperture supports, then so be it.

Finally, I was told that you can take your computer into an Apple Store and they will remove old operating systems from the computer which prevents the system slow downs I normally experience as I keep the OS up to date. Do you know if this is the case?

Regards

Aperture 3.6 Download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.