Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Sound In Bootcamp Windows 10

Theres No Sound On Windows 10

And I Tried Reinstalling It But It Did Not Work

The Sound Driver Is Installed

iMac Pro (2017), macOS High Sierra (10.13.5)

Posted on Jun 29, 2018 4:52 PM

41 replies

Jul 4, 2018 7:04 PM in response to Loner T

I tried resetting the SMC by unplugging the iMac Pro for about 10 minutes and then plugging it back in. This had no effect on the audio issue. I have tried taking the following troubleshooting steps in Windows 10, in addition to others:

• resetting the sound card by disabling and re-enabling it in Device Manager
  • updating, uninstalling, and reinstalling the Apple Audio Device drivers and the High Definition Audio drivers
  • the built-in Windows audio troubleshooter (always get an error)
  • turning off audio enhancements through the sound options
  • disabling the High Definition Audio drivers, but not the Apple Audio Device drivers
  • installing the generic audio drivers from Windows 10
  • disabling Dolby Atmos
  • checking Windows for corruption through a test
  • refreshing Windows with a clean install
  • booting Windows in safe mode
  • reinstalling the Windows Support Software provided by Boot Camp (from a USB drive)
  • deleting the Windows partition and running Boot Camp Assistant again (4 times)

None of these steps have worked. I have also noticed that my microphone similarly does not work, and I assume that the problem is directly related to the fact that for whatever reason Windows 10 just refuses to recognize speakers, wired headphones, or external wired speakers are connected despite the fact that the drivers report no issues.

I did find a semi-acceptable workaround that allows me to get audio in Windows 10. I connected a set of LG bluetooth headphones and can get audio through them, but the internal speakers and connected external speakers through the rear audio jack still do not work (are not recognized). My guess is that this means the drivers are fine but that something about the drivers is not allowing Windows to recognize audio hardware connected to the iMac. I am hoping that Apple will update Boot Camp, because I'm at wit's end and can't think of other troubleshooting steps. I also submitted feedback to Windows.

Jul 16, 2018 4:53 PM in response to Loner T

I'm also having this same issue, and it all started after installing the second update to the macOS Mojave beta. I know that sounds crazy, but sound in Windows 10 worked just fine on High Sierra, and even the initial install of Mojave. Specifically, the second update for Mojave is what was done right before sound stopped working in Windows 10.

I've gone through a whole gamut of troubleshooting steps, including a full factory reinstall of both macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 (through Internet Recovery mode) and a fresh install of Windows 10 through the Bootcamp Utility. Interestingly enough - I'm not sure at what point - but Bootcamp Utility has also decided to stop working. I think it happened after the 10.13.6 update, as I recall it working fine on 10.13.5, but now Bootcamp will always throw an error about saving the support software.

I'm able to work around the Bootcamp issue by partitioning myself and installing Windows 10 via USB (note: it will fail to detect the SSD drive, you must load the AppleSSD driver included with the Windows Support software) but there's still no sound in Windows 10. As far as I can tell, everything else works, just no sound.

My current theory is that Mojave must have updated the firmware of something somewhere. Perhaps the T2 chip? From I understand, it also handle audio processing among other things. A firmware update would explain why the issue persists even after removing the macOS Mojave beta.

I think this is going to be something that'll have to be fixed in a future macOS update. I don't know how exactly macOS affects Windows, but clearly there is some sort of relationship present.

Jul 10, 2018 10:57 PM in response to Loner T

I purchased this $6.99 USB external audio adapter from the thread you suggested @Loner T. (Sabrent USB External Stereo Sound Adapter for Windows and Mac. Plug and play No drivers Needed. (AU-MMSA) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_.QzrBb8FAWPKM)

Four days in and I have had working sound and great sound quality in Windows 10. My biggest regret is that I didn’t find this sooner after putting hours into troubleshooting. Like another poster said, I suspect some iMac Pro firmware has been updated but the associated drivers have not. It’s annoying that an external device is needed to fix the issue, but I hope this adapter works for the others posting in this thread as well.

Jul 11, 2018 3:23 AM in response to Kazyyk

Kazyyk wrote:

My current theory is that Mojave must have updated the firmware of something somewhere. Perhaps the T2 chip? From I understand, it also handle audio processing among other things. A firmware update would explain why the issue persists even after removing the macOS Mojave beta.

In Sierra and later versions, EFI Updates have been bundled into macOS updates. Due to this lack of separation, if you upgrade to a later version, rolling back to previous versions of macOS is fraught with issues.

If you are a Beta user, you should keep the 'critical' and 'play' Mac(hine)s separate. The 'play' Macs may or may not work correctly, and should be wiped/reinstalled, if necessary.

No Sound In Bootcamp Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.