Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Virus?

This morning I received a message from a friend via FB to watch a video. Youtube required to update flash player and now it seems my MacBook is infected with a virus. http://search.anysearchmanager.com/?_pg=6A9A0A5C-8903-5DA6-B635-4BBB05704231&aff id=A0EPK_ext_bsf_T&type=t When I go to Safari, it automatically goes to this site and when I search it goes to yahoo as a search engine. How do I clean this up?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 2, 2018 7:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2018 8:38 AM

Remove any Safari extensions you don't recognize and/or click here and run the tool. In future, if you see a prompt to update Flash, go to Adobe's website or the Flash Player pane of System Preferences manually instead of downloading it from the prompt.

(162093)

4 replies

Jul 2, 2018 8:37 AM in response to Johanna Ten Hulscher

Never update Flash Player from a pop-up that tells you to. Only update it from either the Official Adobe Website or from System Preferences > Flash Player > check for updates. You downloaded a phony Flash layer installer which installed malware on your Mac.

Download and run Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes was developed by one of our own colleagues here in ASC and is about the most proven anti-malware software for Mac.

Jul 2, 2018 7:53 AM in response to Johanna Ten Hulscher

get the free version on Antivirus Replacement for Mac - Scan and Remove Malware | Malwarebytes

-run the scan, remove what it says and restart

-scan again until its clean

you can remove the application when your done, but its handy to have and is always free

check system preferences> users and groups > log in items

remove anything with an error or unknown

open finder > applications > look for mackeeper, clean my mac,

delete contents of your downloads folder also in applicaations

Virus?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.