Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to install an older macOS

Discovering that key apps won't run under High Sierra, I want to step backwards, but my Time Machine disc is FUBAR.

It appears my only option is to install the OS that came with the machine—10.6.1—and upgrade back to Sierra.

But when I insert the 10.6.1 disc and try to install, it says I can't. (This is while running High Sierra.)

I'm guessing I have to erase my hard drive and then use the old disc, but I could really use some knowledgeable confirmation that this is the right way to go.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jul 3, 2018 6:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2018 7:47 PM

That is correct. The installer will not install an older version if it detects a new version has been installed. In order to install the old version of the operating system it is necessary to first erase the disk drive.

8 replies

Jul 3, 2018 7:03 PM in response to Paul Brissett1

You will have to completely erase the disk to install an older OS. Whether the 10.6.1 disk will work after erasing the drive I am unclear about.

You should download the OS you want (I think Sierra is the only one available as the El Capitan download is currently blocked). Then, make a bootable installer before erasing your drive.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Jul 3, 2018 8:18 PM in response to Paul Brissett1

It's simple. Just get a 16GB or larger USB stick. Name it "MyVolume"

The installer needs to be in the Applications folder, so don't move it after downloading.

For the OS you downloaded, copy the full command from the page I linked and paste it into Terminal. Hit return.

It will reformat the USB stick and put the installer on it.

Restart the Mac and hold down the Option key. You will get the Startup Manager. Select the bootable installer you created. It will boot into what looks like Recovery. Erase the disk using Disk Utility, then install the OS.

Jul 4, 2018 7:41 AM in response to Barney-15E

Barney,

I downloaded osxupdcombo10.10.5.dmg from the Apple D/L site. (Couldn't find it in the app store, as a previous responder indicated I could.)

It downloaded to my desktop. I extracted the disk, launched it and it showed me osxupdcombo10.10.5.pkg. Is that what I need to put in my Applications folder? I tried launching the package and when the Welcome to ... Installer showed, I quit and went looking for an "Install" file in my Application folder. It wasn't there.

I'm obviously getting something wrong here. Can you tell me what?

Paul

Jul 4, 2018 8:12 AM in response to Barney-15E

You're a lifesaver, Barney. Did not recognize that "Sierra" in your original message was a link.

Forging ahead.

While it's downloading, tell me how you found Sierra in the App Store. I tried every search term I could think of and couldn't get anything but Apps. I note the url you sent me took me through iTunes. Never considered that. Does iTune access places the App Store doesn't?

How to install an older macOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.