Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internal Keyboard not working for login when FileVault is enabled

OK so I have found many threads on this same topic.

My 2015 Macbook Pro with all recent updates just wouldn't let me log in after FileVault was enabled.

I had to travel to a friends house for an external keyboard to get back up and running when working from home!!!

Completely unacceptable! And disabling FileVault is not an acceptable workaround either.

Has this been acknowledged and is there a hardware replacement available to fix the issue, seeing as it's been around for three years or more and my Macbook exhibits the same behaviour!??

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 11.4, 2015 model

Posted on Jul 3, 2018 7:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2018 9:29 AM

Restart the computer holding down the command - option/alt - P - R keys before the gray screen appears. Continue to hold until you hear the startup chime for the second time. You may need to do this 2-3 times.

Reset NVRAM/PRAM

Try a SMC reset. The article covers when this is required, but doing this will not affect anything.

Reset SMC

Maintaining Mac OS

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2018 9:29 AM in response to jonathonfrom

Restart the computer holding down the command - option/alt - P - R keys before the gray screen appears. Continue to hold until you hear the startup chime for the second time. You may need to do this 2-3 times.

Reset NVRAM/PRAM

Try a SMC reset. The article covers when this is required, but doing this will not affect anything.

Reset SMC

Maintaining Mac OS

Internal Keyboard not working for login when FileVault is enabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.