Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3 Monitor Setup MacBook Pro 2018

Hi, I've the 2017 macbook pro with 4 thunderbolt ports found here - MacBook Pro - Technical Specifications - Apple

ive 3 external monitors (all use HDMI) that need to connect. how to do this? I was thinking of OWC's Thunderbolt dock, but then I will need hdmi to usb adapters. There probably is a limit to the # of displays if going to Thunderbolt itself, since it may burn out the video card. So, I'm thinking of getting HDMI (hub?) to thunderbolt 3.0. Thoughts?

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.5)

Posted on Jul 3, 2018 9:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2018 10:13 PM

Video Support

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and:

• One display with 5120-by-2880 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors
  • Up to two displays with 4096-by-2304 resolution at 60Hz at millions of colors
  • Up to two displays with 3840-by-2160 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors

The MacBook pro does not support three external monitors all at once

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2018 10:13 PM in response to meameame12

Video Support

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and:

• One display with 5120-by-2880 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors
  • Up to two displays with 4096-by-2304 resolution at 60Hz at millions of colors
  • Up to two displays with 3840-by-2160 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors

The MacBook pro does not support three external monitors all at once

Jul 31, 2018 8:32 PM in response to meameame12

I just bought the OWC 12 port Thunderbolt 3 dock and am using it with my 2018 MacBook Pro and two Dell 2715Q monitors and it works great. I'm using a Display Port to mini Display Port cable on one monitor and a Display Port to USB-C/TB3 cable on the other. The OWC dock only has one mini DP port and one USB-C/TB3 port for connecting external monitors. I recall seeing another OWC 12 port dock that replaces the mini Display Port with an HDMI port.

Jul 31, 2018 9:30 PM in response to jegrasso

Proceed with extreme caution. Most of these Docks use DisplayLink software for the second and subsequent display. This creates a buffer in main RAM, and sends the data out to the dock, where a custom chip puts it back onto a Legacy display Interface.

Changes in 10.13.6 mean that this can no longer be used for Extended Desktop or Mirroring. No work-around is yet available.

3 Monitor Setup MacBook Pro 2018

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.