Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help-Sierra not starting

Hello, I am having a serious issue with my laptop As it won’t start. I hear the chime but nothing happens afterwards. the screen is dimly lit, but will not advance. I have tried to boot in single mode, reset PRAM and SMC with nothing that goes much further past the chime. Also tried to use the startup manager and even that doesn’t come on. Here is where it gets bizarre though. I tried to start in safe mode and it worked. But since my I got pulled to run an errand, I shut down, and when I can back safe mode no longer will work. Anyone have ideas how I can access this laptop short of a visit to the Apple store?

Mac mini, OS X Server

Posted on Jul 4, 2018 12:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2018 11:29 AM

Quick update:

If you recall every prior attempt failed. During my several rescue attempts, I succeeded once to bring up the system in Safe mode, but then died again when I re-opened the lid. The whole time I suspected my screen but couldn't imagine what would cause it to go all dark like that and did not have a thunderbolt to HDMI adapter to test on another screen. In any case, I took the laptop over to a local repair shop and there we managed to bring up the laptop on an auxiliary screen, but barely. Opened up the case, cleaned it up (found a dead bug in there), unplugged and re-plugged the screen (after unplugging/plugging battery) and viola problem solved.

I can't be too sure what caused this. perhaps the dirt and the dead bug, or perhaps something jarred the laptop while in my bag as I was traveling the day before. Either way and thankfully it was a simple fix.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2018 11:29 AM in response to Patrick Abuzeni

Quick update:

If you recall every prior attempt failed. During my several rescue attempts, I succeeded once to bring up the system in Safe mode, but then died again when I re-opened the lid. The whole time I suspected my screen but couldn't imagine what would cause it to go all dark like that and did not have a thunderbolt to HDMI adapter to test on another screen. In any case, I took the laptop over to a local repair shop and there we managed to bring up the laptop on an auxiliary screen, but barely. Opened up the case, cleaned it up (found a dead bug in there), unplugged and re-plugged the screen (after unplugging/plugging battery) and viola problem solved.

I can't be too sure what caused this. perhaps the dirt and the dead bug, or perhaps something jarred the laptop while in my bag as I was traveling the day before. Either way and thankfully it was a simple fix.

Help-Sierra not starting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.