Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Left shift key inserts ± (plus/minus symbol)

When I try to use the left shift key and hold it down for more than a half-second or so it will insert the ± symbol. ±(it just did it again!) This has rendered the key useless (besides being a shortcut for that symbol, of course). This occurs in all profiles.

I am using the standard Matias wired keyboard for my iMac running Yosemite (OS)

What is going on?

HELP!!!

Any ideas on how to remedy this?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Jul 7, 2018 12:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2018 11:40 AM

Restart the computer holding down the command - option/alt - P - R keys before the gray screen appears. Continue to hold until you hear the startup chime for the second time. You may need to do this 2-3 times.

Reset NVRAM/PRAM

Try a SMC reset. The article covers when this is required, but doing this will not affect anything.

Reset SMC

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2018 11:40 AM in response to ROSEWORKS818

Restart the computer holding down the command - option/alt - P - R keys before the gray screen appears. Continue to hold until you hear the startup chime for the second time. You may need to do this 2-3 times.

Reset NVRAM/PRAM

Try a SMC reset. The article covers when this is required, but doing this will not affect anything.

Reset SMC

Left shift key inserts ± (plus/minus symbol)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.