Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some numeric keys not working

I'm on an iMac with High Sierra. I'm using a USB keyboard with numeric keypad.

When typing in e.g. Pages, I get numbers and characters from the numeric keypad with the exception of +, - and * which seem to do nothing. I am not using mouse keys or any other special stuff. In settings, my keyboard comes up as "Swedish - PRO".

Suspecting that this is a hardware failure. Or is there a trick to activate these keys?

Åke

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Sep 2, 2018 9:40 AM

10 replies

Sep 5, 2018 2:11 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks. The way to reset SMC, as described on Apple's support pages, is to shut down the Mac, disconnect it from power, wait, connect, wait and restart. I am guessing that "back to back" means "after restart, don't do anything except repeat the shutdown-disconnect sequence immediately.

I have done the reset 2 times but checked for effect each time. (No change.) Will do 3 resets in sequence and see what happens.

Sep 8, 2018 10:16 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks again. don't know that anything bad happened to the keyboard. Years ago, daughter spilled a glass of fruit juice over a keyboard. I disassembled it, brought the parts into the shower, let it dry for 2 weeks and it worked perfectly. With this one, i'm more like waiting to win an absurd sum of money in the lottery so I can buy a new, astronomically overpriced, iMac.

Sep 9, 2018 5:36 AM in response to Eldberg

Keyboards are quite a bit less expensive than a new iMac. By the way, you can buy an Apple refurbished Mac. There is no downside to these, they are identical to a new computer, come with the same 1 year warranty, are eligible to AppleCare and can save hundreds of $. If that is any interest go to Apple.com navigate to the bottom of the page and click the Refurbished section. If you don't find what you want check frequently as the models sell very quickly and inventory changes very quickly.

Some numeric keys not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.