Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FileVault is taking forever to finish encrypting. It seems to be stuck?

I am trying to download High Sierra 10.13.5 and it's stuck on the File Vault encryption. It just shows estimating time remaining, but no time is showing and it's barely moved?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 8, 2018 4:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2018 5:04 PM

Hello cristinatanner,

How long is "forever"? What kind of machine is this? Do you have an SSD?

Also, you are talking about two different things - downloading High Sierra and turning on FileVault encryption. Attempting to do both at the same time will only slow them both down.

If you have a really fast machine with a fast SSD, you can encrypt you whole startup drive in only a few hours. If you have a slower SSD, or a mechanical hard drive, you can expect it to take days.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2018 5:04 PM in response to cristinatanner

Hello cristinatanner,

How long is "forever"? What kind of machine is this? Do you have an SSD?

Also, you are talking about two different things - downloading High Sierra and turning on FileVault encryption. Attempting to do both at the same time will only slow them both down.

If you have a really fast machine with a fast SSD, you can encrypt you whole startup drive in only a few hours. If you have a slower SSD, or a mechanical hard drive, you can expect it to take days.

Jul 8, 2018 5:30 PM in response to etresoft

I am not very computer savvy. I don’t know what an SSD is?

When I tried downloading High Sierra at the point when you choose where you want it downloaded, that’s when I was alerted that FileVault was running and when it was done I could continue the download. I didn’t choose for it to run and don’t know how to stop it or if I should?

FileVault is taking forever to finish encrypting. It seems to be stuck?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.