Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages keeps crashing

For a couple of weeks now, when I try to open Pages or any Pages document, it crashes. I don't know what version of Pages I have because I can't open it to see.

OS is El Capitan 10.11.16.

I have reinstalled it three or four times and it works okay for a few days then I can't open it again.

Any suggestions?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Jul 10, 2018 9:23 AM

8 replies

Jul 10, 2018 9:27 AM in response to keethafromwinona

You can always check the version of Pages from the Finder. In the Applications folder, click once on the Pages icon, and then press option+command+i to display an information panel. The general section will have the application version number in it, like the following for Pages v7.1:

User uploaded file

The first step in an effort to right the crashing issue is to press and hold the shift key when launching Pages. Then quit the application normally from its application name menu. Subsequent launches should behave correctly, unless there is something else causing the problem.

Jul 10, 2018 12:56 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

I don't know where it came from. A couple of weeks ago, it appeared in the place of the Pages icon. That is what the Pages icon now looks like in my dock and in the Launchpad. When it looks like that, this generic icon, Pages doesn't open. I reinstall it from the app store and the regular icon is back. Then it opens and works fine for a few days. User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Jul 10, 2018 3:28 PM in response to keethafromwinona

You may think you have.

If you are in fact on macOS El Capitan you have not got any current version of Pages and certainly have not downloaded it from the App Store which only has Pages 7.1 which is only compatible with macOS Sierra and High Sierra.

What you appear to have there is the Click411 White Pages widget or an App using its icon. And that was created back on macOS 10.4 and may not work on El Capitan.

User uploaded file

Jul 10, 2018 12:53 PM in response to keethafromwinona

That is not the icon for Pages, it is as I said far too small and can you explain where you got it from?

I strongly suspect you have downloaded a Trojan or are simply confused.

The icon is from the Click411 White Pages widget.

Pages is freely available as a App Store download from Apple not from 3rd party download sites.

Delete it and use a Clean up utility (not MacKeeper!) to make sure you have got rid of all associated files.

Pages keeps crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.