Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Epson Scanner Monitor.app purpose

I have iMac High Sierra OS. I have an Epson WF-3640 All-In-One connected via Network Router Ethernet.

The Activity Monitor shows an Epson associated process running all the time called "Epson Scanner Monitor". The application is constantly active using about 1.5% of my CPU even when the printer is off. If I quite the app it will restart the next time I log in. Does anyone know the purpose of this app? Have not found anything useful on the internet. The app is located in Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/EPSON/Scanner/ScannerMonitor/Epson Scanner Monitor.app

Tom

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.5)

Posted on Jul 11, 2018 8:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2018 1:55 PM

The following is from this Epson webpage: Using the Scan Button - Epson

EPSON Scanner Monitor is software that recognizes when the Scan button is pressed and sends information to an assigned application which supports the Scan Button feature and EPSON Scanner Monitor, such as EPSON SMART PANEL.

So if you don't plan on using that Scan button on the scanner you can move the app to the Desktop for a while and see if there's any adverse result to doing so. If not then go ahead and delete it.

User uploaded file

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2018 1:55 PM in response to TRA43

The following is from this Epson webpage: Using the Scan Button - Epson

EPSON Scanner Monitor is software that recognizes when the Scan button is pressed and sends information to an assigned application which supports the Scan Button feature and EPSON Scanner Monitor, such as EPSON SMART PANEL.

So if you don't plan on using that Scan button on the scanner you can move the app to the Desktop for a while and see if there's any adverse result to doing so. If not then go ahead and delete it.

User uploaded file

Jul 11, 2018 10:54 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for the fast reply. I tried using Image Capture to scan and it does work. So I will delete the Epson Scanner Monitor.App.

Epson seems to have downloaded lot of apps on my iMac even though the printer/fax/scanner setup is pretty much self contained on the device. But I think I will leave the other Epson apps, Updater and Event manager functions, alone since they do not run continuously as a Process.

Thanks

Jul 11, 2018 2:00 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for the explanation. I usually use the Scan function from my System Pref panel. Based on rkaufmann87 reply I will probably use Image Cap. now. But out of curiosity I will try using Scan from Smart panel with Scanner Monitor disabled.

Both answers I received have been very helpful. My question has been answered. Thanks

Epson Scanner Monitor.app purpose

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.