Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If GPS + LTE version of the series 3 Watch is not available in my country and I buy It outside, Can I still use it as GPS only?

Hi! I recently considered the option to buy an apple watch, I spend long hours at my office and Im unable to answer or use my phone all the time and I was thinking about something more portable like this device, I’ve heard a lot of wonderful things about it and I really want to get it but I am afraid that if I buy It it won’t work like It should, I do understand that the LTE might not work but I still wanna buy this version instead of the GPS one for travelling purposes, can I still use the LTE+GPS version like If it was the GPS version only? Thank you and I hope that made sense (not a native english speaker)

Posted on Jul 13, 2018 1:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2018 8:01 PM

To use standalone cellular the Apple Watch *must* be configured to activate the eSIM as a second device on your iphone’s Calling Plan, and at this time eSIM does not support roaming away fr9m your home network. These two restrictions mean it is probably pointless for you to buy the cellular version. It is not essential to activate cellular, but the cellular version would simply fall back to work like the non cellular version so it would be a waste of money to buy the unusable cellular features.

If you can remain within Bluetooth range of your iPhone, or you work in an office with access to WiFi where you can connect the phone and watch, you might find the GPS only version will work for you. If you are within Bluetooth range the default communication lis linked through your iPhone even if he watch has cellular function, and cellular is only used as the last resort. Please take a look at How to use your Apple Watch without your iPhone nearby - Apple Support for functions available when you move away from Bluetooth range but still within WiFi cover.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2018 8:01 PM in response to MintApples

To use standalone cellular the Apple Watch *must* be configured to activate the eSIM as a second device on your iphone’s Calling Plan, and at this time eSIM does not support roaming away fr9m your home network. These two restrictions mean it is probably pointless for you to buy the cellular version. It is not essential to activate cellular, but the cellular version would simply fall back to work like the non cellular version so it would be a waste of money to buy the unusable cellular features.

If you can remain within Bluetooth range of your iPhone, or you work in an office with access to WiFi where you can connect the phone and watch, you might find the GPS only version will work for you. If you are within Bluetooth range the default communication lis linked through your iPhone even if he watch has cellular function, and cellular is only used as the last resort. Please take a look at How to use your Apple Watch without your iPhone nearby - Apple Support for functions available when you move away from Bluetooth range but still within WiFi cover.

If GPS + LTE version of the series 3 Watch is not available in my country and I buy It outside, Can I still use it as GPS only?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.