Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

homepod will not controle philips hue lights

I am having trouble getting my HomePod to work with my philips hue lights. From my phone I got it to work and I can ask Siri to turn them on or off. But when i ask HomePod Siri she keeps telling me she can’t find it, cannot do that, etc. Very annoying, is there anyone out there who can help me with this??

HomePod

Posted on Jul 14, 2018 10:19 AM

Similar questions

48 replies

Aug 15, 2018 3:03 PM in response to frogsweeper

See the home hub advice from Apple here:

Automate and remotely access your HomeKit accessories - Apple Support

I am successfully using Wemo and LIFX devices. I don’t have Hue and, going by this thread, it is hit and miss whether they all work.

The LIFX lights are worth considering as they don’t need a separate hub like Hue lights. However I did have difficulty setting them up until I found a tip to change the device name when first connecting it to wifi. There might be a similar glitch with Hue.

Jul 22, 2018 8:46 AM in response to Athaa1973

Have you tried the following:

• Restarting the bridge
  • restaring the homepode
  • are both the HomePod and bridge useing the same wifi and same Apple ID
  • Are the ligths showing up within the HomePod

Are both the HomePod / lights / bridge showing up within the same room within the home app

• Have you tried removing the lights from the home app / Hue app then re-added the to the app.
  • Have you tried re-setting the HomePod to factory setting.

I use Phillipa Hue light with the HomePod and has had no issue with useing them at all since day one. Hopefully these may help or else you may sadly have to wait till Phillipa can work out what’s the issue and if it’s somthig on there end or apples to maybe hopefully fix the issue but my self and friends I know have not had this issue.

UPDATE:

I found a friend of a friend who has the same issue she, reinstalled the Hue app added the lights (made sure lights, bridge and HomePod was added to the same scene) and then it worked fine, might work for others.

Jul 19, 2018 9:42 AM in response to Athaa1973

Can anyone from Apple help? This feels like a bug, not a setup error, I've seen a similar question posted this week. I have reinstalled and restarted all my hubs, homepods, etc. All my firmware is up-to-date, still have the issue. Again, the philips hue lights and bridge all work within the Hue app, they also show in my HomeKit app on my iphone/ipad, I CAN control the philips Hue lights from my HomeKit app by pressing the buttons manually, I can also control the Philips Hue lights via Siri on my iPhone/iPad, but I CANNOT control them via Siri from my Homepod. My Homepod IS setup correctly and can control other smart home devices I have installed, JUST NOT the Philips Hue light bulbs. I have an Apple Airport Extreme as my router, if that information helps as well.

Jul 21, 2018 7:08 PM in response to Centralspy

Not really, sometimes it works great and other times it’s a total hot mess! Believe it or not I have an Amazon echo which I use,I put it in the same room works flawlessly every time 100% with lights and everything else.

I think this is a software glitch between Apple HomeKit and the Phillips hue app...

I hope one of these companies will get their act together LOL but for now I’ll just use my work around because I really enjoy the quality of the HomePod speaker

Jul 22, 2018 4:57 AM in response to Athaa1973

Notice that the HomePod are only controlling the lights for the room where the HomePod is located (or commanded otherwise).

So my situation:

- Living room, 2x HomePods, 2x full color Hue bulbs

If I say "Hey Siri, turn the lights off." only the lights in the living room responded to that command.

If I say "Hey Siri, turn all the lights off." all the lights in- or outside the house responded to that command.

I don't know if people set up a HomePod in a room without lights but it's possible that your hue lights not responding to a local command instead of a global command.

Jul 22, 2018 9:02 AM in response to Cameron.Palmer

it’s actually not the Phillips hue system it’s the HomeKit app for an app it’s a hot mess! I have recently purchased name is on echo device, set it up in working flawlessly with hue lights my HomePods every time no connection issues whatsoever response to every command!

I have been a long time Apple user but I’m getting fed up with their products being crap

Jul 22, 2018 9:10 AM in response to Bswails212

Probably sell it......I am seriously contemplating changing over to non apple products... over past 5 years lack of innovation, always late with cutting edge features etc.. really frustrating..

Homepod is a perfect example.. how can you put out a sub par "SMART" speaker...... sure it sounds great BUT cannot even get most basic functions to work properly??

uughhh!

Jul 22, 2018 9:28 AM in response to tpw66

I love and hate Apple everyday! Didn’t bother to think about how much of a pain it will be to replace all the products I have from them(NO streaming device other than the Apple TV currently support Dolby vision..which is crazy) But I’m also going to miss the build quality. I suppose I could keep the Apple hardware and just not use Siri anymore? I haven’t heard two Sonos play in stereo but the sound of my two HomePods is going to be hard to beat

Jul 22, 2018 9:43 AM in response to Bswails212

I agree I’m probably not gonna sell My Home podI’ll keep it, I wanted to even buy another one to have multiple Rooms I was thinking about getting up to four of them but they’re quite pricey and I just expect the basic functionality to work I mean I shouldn’t have to exert myself to get it to check calendar send a message ,connect to lights it’s sad that such an inexpensive device from Amazon can do it flawlessly without any communications issues! I do agree with you I have two Apple TV 4’s and I love them I have an iMac I have an iPhone I have iPads and for the most part they work without an issue so I guess I would be what you would call an Apple fanboy !

it just seems like ever since Steve Jobs passed away the company has lost its vision Apple used to be an innovator now it’s like playing catch-up?? And I agree would be too frustrating to jump into another ecosystem. So I’ll ride it out .....hopefully future updates to the HomePod will bring more functionality .....at least that is my prayer 😎😁😁👍

Jul 22, 2018 10:28 AM in response to tpw66

I second your statement...it’s really hard to see other companies do what Apple should be doing. I know it’s arrogant for me to say but being close to a trillion dollar company privacy should not be the reason why your products aren’t on the level at the very least as the others. If you don’t have the people or resources now Just pay to get it done!. Whatever the price would be to keep privacy number one AND have the same functionality should be a drop in the bucket. It would take Apple all of what 5 years to make back the money?

Jul 22, 2018 2:41 PM in response to Bswails212

It isn't a question of money, to have Siri meet the Apple privacy standards AND the same functionality as Alexas and Google is going to take a monumental task and may not be able to be done. I'm not especially wanting to have the HomePod listen to everything I say and store it on Apple's servers for future reference unless they can build in some world class security.

As I said earlier in this thread, as have others, I'm not having a problem with the HomePods controlling my Hue lighting. In my setup I'm using an Airport Extreme as my router and the Hue bridge is in the main room where all my lights are and has been able to control all of them including the one on the front porch. If there was some sort of defect in the HomePod, Siri, HomeKit, or the Home app this would not work.

The HomePod has been out less than one year while the other devices have at least a 3 year head start. They don't sound near as well as the HomePod. Since it has been out it has added AirPlay 2, Stereo HomePods, access to my Calendar, etc. The original iPhone had more problems, less capabilities and no apps (Mr. Jobs did not want them except for AJAX web apps) when it was released. It was only under pressure that Mr. Jobs was convinced to allow 3rd party apps and start the app store.

homepod will not controle philips hue lights

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.