Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro charger not working

A couple years ago, my charger stopped working. It would be green when I plugged it in and a couple seconds later it would turn orange. I purchased another charger. That worked for a few years. It happened again so I purchased another charger. That one does not work work so I am unable to charge my computer. Please advise how I can fix this problem. Thank you

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Jul 15, 2018 9:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2018 5:58 AM

Your description sounds like a computer and charger that are operating as designed. There are three micro-controllers involved in battery charging -- one in the battery, one in the power adapter, and one in the Mac. This system is designed to never over-charge your Mac. The LED may be on the power adapter end, but it is controlled by commands sent from the Mac.

It would be green when I plugged it in and a couple seconds later it would turn orange.

Green -- indicates it is not charging, or possibly only trickle-charging. It may take all night or more to charge your Mac when green, or it may not charge at all.

Orange -- indicates it has started a charge cycle, and is doing a "quick charge". It may take only an hour or two to restore to "mostly-charged" state on a properly working battery. Your Mac will not start a charge cycle until the battery power remaining has declined to somewhere in the low 90-ies percent of its full capacity.

The numbers I indicated above are rough estimates, and assume the computer is OFF. If you are running it at the same time, it will take longer.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2018 5:58 AM in response to Rebecca Finegan

Your description sounds like a computer and charger that are operating as designed. There are three micro-controllers involved in battery charging -- one in the battery, one in the power adapter, and one in the Mac. This system is designed to never over-charge your Mac. The LED may be on the power adapter end, but it is controlled by commands sent from the Mac.

It would be green when I plugged it in and a couple seconds later it would turn orange.

Green -- indicates it is not charging, or possibly only trickle-charging. It may take all night or more to charge your Mac when green, or it may not charge at all.

Orange -- indicates it has started a charge cycle, and is doing a "quick charge". It may take only an hour or two to restore to "mostly-charged" state on a properly working battery. Your Mac will not start a charge cycle until the battery power remaining has declined to somewhere in the low 90-ies percent of its full capacity.

The numbers I indicated above are rough estimates, and assume the computer is OFF. If you are running it at the same time, it will take longer.

MacBook Pro charger not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.