Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Received an email from Apple ID Support saying my email address was used to sign in on an “iPad mini” which I do not have. When U went to Apple ID support page it asked for my SS # and other common info. I am uncomfortable doing this. Should I be con

Received email from Apple ID Suppott my Apple ID was recently used to sign in on an “iPad mini” which I do not own. When I went to Apple ID Support page, it asked for my SS # plus other common info. . I was uncomfortable adding my SS # so did not complete. Should I be concerned & what to do next ?

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 11.4.1

Posted on Jul 15, 2018 11:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2018 11:55 AM

It is a phishing attempt. Do not respond to, or otherwise act on the email.

Avoid phishing emails, fake 'virus' alerts, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

4 replies

Jul 15, 2018 11:57 AM in response to Wendym1425

pple will always address you by your name or the name they have on file for you, not Dear Customer, Dear Client or by using your e-mail address. The e-mail will be from @apple.com or @iTunes.com. E-mail addresses can be spoofed. You can go to Mail/View/Message/Show all Headers to see more. Apple e-mails will never contain an attachment. Apple will never request personal information such as Social Security numbers.

The only exception to the above I have noticed is if you order something from the Apple Store (apple.com), your receipt will be addressed to Dear Apple Customer. That is a receipt for a purchase you initiated.

Send the e-mail to Apple as an attachment to a new e-mail before deleting it. You can forward as an attachment by going to Mail/Message/Forward as attachment.

reportphishing@apple.com

You might want to consider changing your password and making sure it is a strong one. You can also add 2 Factor Authentication to your account for more security. If the attempts continue, you might want to consider a name change.

Apple ID Name Change

Apple ID Password Change

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support I suggest doing this before you change your Apple ID or password.

Received an email from Apple ID Support saying my email address was used to sign in on an “iPad mini” which I do not have. When U went to Apple ID support page it asked for my SS # and other common info. I am uncomfortable doing this. Should I be con

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.