Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Login Screen not showing Sleep, Restart & Shutdown buttons

Login screen does not display Sleep, Restart & Shutdown buttons even though I have selected that option in User preferences. I do have Filevault enabled and I know that does disable some stuff. Is that the issue or is it something else? Im running a Mac Air 11 with High Sierra. Thanks for any assistance.

MacBook Air (11-inch, Early 2014), macOS High Sierra (10.13.5)

Posted on Jul 16, 2018 2:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2018 10:54 PM

Hi CounterSniper,

In regards to the three options you mentioned (Sleep, Shutdown and Restart), the only option FileVault disables is Sleep. This only applies when you turn on or restart your Mac; if you view the login window afterwards the Sleep option will return. However, FileVault does disable automatic login (as a password is required to unlock the startup disk and boot macOS).

Try booting your Mac in Safe Mode and see if the login options appear. If they still don't appear, verify that the appropriate option is checked in User and Groups preferences, then try reinstalling macOS: How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

To boot your Mac in Safe Mode, hold down the Shift key as you turn on or restart your Mac. Startup will be significantly slower than usual. More details about Safe Mode can be found here: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2018 10:54 PM in response to CounterSniper

Hi CounterSniper,

In regards to the three options you mentioned (Sleep, Shutdown and Restart), the only option FileVault disables is Sleep. This only applies when you turn on or restart your Mac; if you view the login window afterwards the Sleep option will return. However, FileVault does disable automatic login (as a password is required to unlock the startup disk and boot macOS).

Try booting your Mac in Safe Mode and see if the login options appear. If they still don't appear, verify that the appropriate option is checked in User and Groups preferences, then try reinstalling macOS: How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

To boot your Mac in Safe Mode, hold down the Shift key as you turn on or restart your Mac. Startup will be significantly slower than usual. More details about Safe Mode can be found here: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Jul 16, 2018 11:05 PM in response to Encryptor5000

I did have the option selected which was what I found so perplexing. I even un-selected, restarted then reselected multiple times with no luck.

I had very recently done a complete re-install & I made sure to only install authorized apps so I was very disheartened to see your suggestion to reinstall if the problems persisted. The process was sooo long and I wasn't look forward to doing that again.

Thankfully when I booted up in safe mode the options returned. I don't know why but am happy just the same. I am a complete novice with Macs having spent my life with PCs. Some day i'll get there.

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Login Screen not showing Sleep, Restart & Shutdown buttons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.