Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System storage is REALLY big

Hi, I have an iMac 27 with 4 TB Fusion drive storage running High Sierra 10.13.5. I have Time machine running, and it seems to be working fine. My problem is that system storage seems to have eaten all my free storage. It sits on 1.52 TB which i think is a lot. Even though I do have many videos, pictures and music, this seems absurd to me.

I have tried reading similar post, but none of the fixes seemed to change anything. I've tried turning turning automatic TM backup off and restarting. I've tried reindexing spotlight. I have also tried searching for local TM snapshots but "sudo tmutil listlocalsnapshots /" comes up with nothing.

System seems a but unstable with disk running a lot and sudden crashes.

Can anyone please help me?

(My understanding of technical stuff is limited so it would be great if you could explain suggestions throughly. Thx!)

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

User uploaded file

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), macOS High Sierra (10.13.5)

Posted on Jul 16, 2018 11:56 AM

16 replies

Jul 17, 2018 3:57 AM in response to TBHededal

Any Google Chrome product(s)?

User uploaded file

These guys at Goo always make my day LOL.

More seriously, many other hogs like this can be the guilty party. I've no further idea for the moment.

It seems that the problem you have is widely reported. The best thing is probably to fill a bug report to Apple:

https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/

(public access by simple registration) (you may have to go to a special registration screen in order to make your regular Apple ID a valid Apple developpers ID).

Regards.

Jul 17, 2018 7:20 AM in response to Almojgar

Almojgar wrote:

To the contrary, that's exactly like I said: it could be any Apple hog wallowing in our system, and you are trying your old trick at random, here and there.

I was able to reproduce and solve exactly the same problem reported by TBHededal. I did that on Jul 16, 2018 at 10:47 AM, so my "old trick" isn't even 24 hours old yet.

The infamous Spotlight is indeed ONE of them, and I sincerely hope for you (and for TBHededal) that your advise(s) will work here much better than in the thread you cited.

There is no problem with my advice in that thread. The OP in that thread has not responded. I certainly hope that people do not start deleting their Time Machine backups in a mistaken hope that it corrects a problem that is only cosmetic.

I was even able to reproduce the problem just now. This time, I was quicker on the screen capture. My "System" usage went from:

User uploaded file

to:

User uploaded file

In about 10 seconds. I did not delete any Time Machine backups. I did not delete any files. All I did was click the "Sweep" button in Omni Disk Sweeper.

you just enter in the top 5 of my blacklist.

You are not in the top 5 of the many people whose blacklists I am on.

I will henceforth help you to cease selling your own products on this forum.

Are you saying that I should modify the advice that I give so that I stay off people's blacklists in the hope that they will promote my app? Wouldn't that make me dishonest and my app untrustworthy? That seems like a counter-intuitive strategy.

Jul 17, 2018 4:50 AM in response to TBHededal

Hello TBHededal,

Local snapshots are only for notebook machines. Your iMac win’t have them. They are also inly for APFS.

Your Spotlight index has just gotten corrupted. See this thread (Local Snapshots of Time-Machine) for an identical problem. Don’t be misled by the title. That was yet another case of someone following misinformation on the internet and getting themselves confused instead of simply describing the problem and asking for a solution.

The correct solution is to just rebuild your Spotlight index. I found this easy to do by running Omni Disk Sweeper (https://www.omnigroup.com/more/). You don’t have to make any changes, Indeed, you should not make any changes. Just let it run and watch as your “System” usage magically returns to a reasonable amount.

Jul 17, 2018 8:01 AM in response to Almojgar

Almojgar wrote:

If you had taken a minimal attention to other posts than the only ones that were being matching you personal inferences, you'd have noticed that I regularly advise your app since I am here, not because you are an interesting person, but because this app works properly.

I checked. You have mentioned it twice. Once it helped the OP find a solution. In the other case, it would also help to show the OP that there is no problem.

It's you who are using a counter-productive strategy in trying systematically to promote your own experience vs. the (very rare, here) attempts to solve really a problem by exploring all possibilities.

On the contrary, you are the one who is attacking me for suggesting alternative solutions. All users of Apple Support Communities should feel free to provide their own advice if they think it will help solve someone's problem. We are also free to point out if someone else's advice is potentially dangerous or ill-advised. If you have more questions about this policy, feel free to consult the Apple Support Communities Use Agreement.

Oh, by the by, having his main disk totally fillen, by macOS itself, with tons of pointless @$#$p is NOT "only cosmetic" (dammit).

All indications are that this is a Spotlight problem that incorrectly classifies files as "System". This is a well-known problem that has existed for years. The only thing interesting about these recent threads has been how easily I could reproduce this problem and demonstrably solve it.

Jul 17, 2018 5:22 AM in response to etresoft

To the contrary, that's exactly like I said: it could be any Apple hog wallowing in our system, and you are trying your old trick at random, here and there.

The infamous Spotlight is indeed ONE of them, and I sincerely hope for you (and for TBHededal) that your advise(s) will work here much better than in the thread you cited.

PS: by the by, you just enter in the top 5 of my blacklist. I'm perfectly aware that you don't care a f. about that, but I will henceforth help you to cease selling your own products on this forum.

Have a good day.

Jul 17, 2018 7:47 AM in response to etresoft

If you had taken a minimal attention to other posts than the only ones that were being matching you personal inferences, you'd have noticed that I regularly advise your app since I am here, not because you are an interesting person, but because this app works properly.

It's you who are using a counter-productive strategy in trying systematically to promote your own experience vs. the (very rare, here) attempts to solve really a problem by exploring all possibilities.

Oh, by the by, having his main disk totally fillen, by macOS itself, with tons of pointless @$#$p is NOT "only cosmetic" (dammit).

Jul 17, 2018 8:22 AM in response to etresoft

quote: "All indications are that this is a Spotlight problem that incorrectly classifies files as "System". This is a well-known problem that has existed for years. The only thing interesting about these recent threads has been how easily I could reproduce this problem and demonstrably solve it."

I agree with you on that point (like on many others, besides) but I'm not certain (yet, my opinion can evolve) that it is the only responsible of all that disk' free space monopolisation mess.

System storage is REALLY big

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.