Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System storage problem

Hey guys,

I am having a lots of problems with my system storage. Searched for a lots of videos and threads but people recommend strange mac cleaner software (that I do not want).

Is there any normal thing to do against this? Around 33% of my iMac us full at the moment because of the system storage.

Thanks!

iMac 27″, macOS 12.2

Posted on May 11, 2022 3:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2022 10:02 AM

Normally there should be nothing for you to do. The Mac is able to manage itself very effectively. Part of the storage is the "Other". The following information may be useful for you to know.

The Other Category should not be altered, modified, move or deleted since it is part of the Mac’s operating system. Doing so would corrupt the OS and render the OS inoperative requiring a Wipe and Re-Installation.

The Other category is a potpourri of files which include:

• System temporary files

• macOS system folders

• Archives and disk images (.zip, .iso, etc. - often found in the Downloads folder)

• Personal user data

• Files from the user’s library (Application Support, iCloud files, screensavers, etc.)

• Cache files

• Fonts, plugins, extensions

• Other files that are not recognized by a Spotlight search

• Media files that cannot be classified by Spotlight as a media file because they are located inside of a package

They can be located anywhere on your hard drive. The files that you have control over are located in the Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Music and Movies folders.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2022 10:02 AM in response to habbekuk123123

Normally there should be nothing for you to do. The Mac is able to manage itself very effectively. Part of the storage is the "Other". The following information may be useful for you to know.

The Other Category should not be altered, modified, move or deleted since it is part of the Mac’s operating system. Doing so would corrupt the OS and render the OS inoperative requiring a Wipe and Re-Installation.

The Other category is a potpourri of files which include:

• System temporary files

• macOS system folders

• Archives and disk images (.zip, .iso, etc. - often found in the Downloads folder)

• Personal user data

• Files from the user’s library (Application Support, iCloud files, screensavers, etc.)

• Cache files

• Fonts, plugins, extensions

• Other files that are not recognized by a Spotlight search

• Media files that cannot be classified by Spotlight as a media file because they are located inside of a package

They can be located anywhere on your hard drive. The files that you have control over are located in the Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Music and Movies folders.

System storage problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.