Related Article: How to reset your AirPort base station

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unexpected error message when trying to connect AirPort Extreme as a new base station

I am trying to configure a new AirPort Extreme to replace my old one that died recently. I am using Airport Utility 6.3.8. Whenever I try to make the connection, I get the message "An unexpected error occurred." Utility seems to find the router, but I can't get past this message to set up the network further. I have performed the factory reset on the Extreme (purchased new from Apple), but the same thing keeps happening. Suggestions, please.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 500GB HD, 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Posted on Jul 18, 2018 6:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2018 4:38 AM

How are you currently running the AE?

Is it plugged into the network main router or modem?

Are you using ethernet or wireless from the Mac to set it up?

Do you have IPv6 set to Link-Local only for whichever connection you are using in the Mac under network preferences?

This last one is important.. as discovery of the AE is based on correct IPv6 configuration.. and auto does not cut it.

Have you assumed the set up actually worked.. reboot the entire network to see if in fact it is just a glitch in the matrix?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2018 4:38 AM in response to sopranogram

How are you currently running the AE?

Is it plugged into the network main router or modem?

Are you using ethernet or wireless from the Mac to set it up?

Do you have IPv6 set to Link-Local only for whichever connection you are using in the Mac under network preferences?

This last one is important.. as discovery of the AE is based on correct IPv6 configuration.. and auto does not cut it.

Have you assumed the set up actually worked.. reboot the entire network to see if in fact it is just a glitch in the matrix?

Jul 19, 2018 4:41 AM in response to LaPastenague

I had actually been able to properly configure the AE using my Macbook. But this was great help to get the appropriate connections to the iMac. The iPv6 had actually been somehow turned off in the Network preferences. When I fixed this problem, the AE is recognized in Airport Utility. Should the iPv6 be set to Link-local in all of the other options (Bluetooth, etc.)?

Jul 19, 2018 4:48 AM in response to sopranogram

Should the iPv6 be set to Link-local in all of the other options

IPv6 is crucial to discovery mechanism in bonjour.. but as I stated.. it needs the setting on whatever you use.. ie if you connect to the airport by wireless then set link-local only on wireless.. if ethernet then ethernet.. there is no need to set it on bluetooth as you cannot connect to router using bluetooth. Or anything else that is not used..

The exception to this is fully IPv6 networks.. but these are still extremely rare. Most of use even with IPv6 ISP still work with IPv4 local network.

Unexpected error message when trying to connect AirPort Extreme as a new base station

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.