Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't add email accounts to Apple Mail

Hi,

I have been successfully using Apple Mail on my iMac (2015) running High Sierra. I had 4 email IMAP accounts set up on it (icloud, yahoo, gmail and one from Siteground). They were all running fine, then for no apparent reason the yahoo and siteground ones stopped working - they couldn't connect to the server. I deleted the accounts and then tried to re-add them but mail wouldn't let me. In the case of yahoo I got this message:

User uploaded file

In the case of the siteground email I got an "unable to verify account name or password".

I logged onto webmail for both accounts successfully. I reset the password for my siteground account just in case and managed to login via webmail and my iphone, but am still unable to set up a new account in apple mail.

I have successfully added both email accounts to Mac Outlook and can send and receive with no problem.

I am unable to add the yahoo account to my iphone although I have been able to add the siteground one.

Has anyone got any advice for next troubleshooting steps?

Thanks

IMAC (RETINA 5K, 27-INCH, LATE 2015), macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Jul 19, 2018 8:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2018 8:59 PM

Same here. It's ridiculous. One day, my Mac just stopped receiving my gmail. I get it thankfully, on my iPhone.

so. what is the deal. I deleted the account, and now it will not let me add it back. I go through the steps, click DONE and it does NOTHING.

28 replies

Oct 1, 2018 1:11 AM in response to Carolistah

I updated to High Sierra and all my outlook accounts stopped running. In desperation, I deleted them and when I went in to add them, I get to the screen where you have to select the options you want to sync (Mail, Contacts, Reminders, Notes) and when I click NEXT, the wheel spins briefly and then nothing happens. I cannot find a solution to this and have no idea what is going on.

Oct 26, 2018 3:30 PM in response to helbee

In reference to the Outlook account, I was having the same issue, not being able to add it to the Mail app in my MacBook Pro.

In my iPhone X, it worked fine.

After trying various solutions, I managed to add to the Mail.

When entering the initial information , such as email and password , I used the password created in the < AppPassword> .

Probably, because I had the two factor authentication enabled....

Give it a try!

Nov 26, 2018 7:09 AM in response to bufflyn71

This is exactly what mine has done - last Friday. One of the Gmail accounts in mail is still working fine but my main Gmail won't connect. I removed it and now can't add it as above? Tried changing the password but no progress.

I was on to Apple Support for an hour last night and they only told me to do everything I had already done. I've gone through safe start up and no issues reported. This is now driving me mad!

Dec 17, 2018 6:30 AM in response to helbee

I have a similar issue. I use Apple Mail on an iMac, MacBook Pro and iPhone. I have several mail accounts that work fine on all three. However, I have a few accounts with an organization that I belong to. I have been able to add all of them to my MacBook but my iMac rejects all of them. I have a couple on my iPhone but just tried to add a new one and it asked for a Username under Incoming Mail Server (though not under Outgoing...). I don't know of a Username, and didn't need it when I added this account a few minutes ago to my MacBook Pro.

Jan 19, 2019 9:41 PM in response to helbee

Created a SiteGround email account. Tried to add the account to my HighSierra (10.13.1) desktop Mail app (thru System Preferences) without success. (Was able to add it to my Thunderbird app, tho.) Tried to add the account to my iPhone (iOS 11.4.1) and was successful. On the desktop, System Preferences > Internet Accounts claims that the email address and password are invalid. If iOS accepted that combo, why not MacOS?

Feb 9, 2019 1:16 PM in response to Anne262

Wish I could provide more insight… I used SiteGround's profile script that ended up in the System Preferences app. Ran it from System Preferences and it worked. I just updated to Mojave today and ran a test sending/receiving with that SiteGround email account, and it was successful.

A week ago I created an email account for my client who was on Mojave, and the profile script for his account worked…

Feb 25, 2019 4:16 PM in response to David Auerbach1

There's also an additional step whereby you have to "verify" -- authenticate with a password -- Gmail accounts by first opening the Safari browser and then entering your ID and passwords there. (I got notifications that directed me to the Mail -> (iCloud) Accounts page where I learned about verification.) How this makes sense, given that Gmail -> Google -> Chrome browser, I can't fathom. But it worked for my Gmail accounts, made them functional.

My most grievous problem is getting the IMAP and SMTP servers lined up and having them remain in synch with the mail accounts, since my various email hosts use different protocols for IDs, PWs, and how mail is served to clients (like Apple Mail). Far too often after trying to send an email and failing I get that unnamed warning box that (a) tells you an email wasn't received because it was rejected at the receiving end or never sent; and (b) instructs you to visit another unnamed window and tweak all your SMTP lists and settings, not just once, but sometimes repeatedly -- until you freak out, delete all your mail accounts, and start all over again.

Weird that the warning box and SMTP window are still a part of Apple Mail into the fourteenth-plus iteration of OSX! Can't email be set up some easier way that doesn't often tie up one's Mac, so you have to reboot (as happens often)?

Apr 6, 2019 10:09 AM in response to T-Spot

This just happened to me, but I got it back! I deleted said account (one of my gmail accounts) from apple Mail. But it wouldn't let me add a new account. I clicked on the google link in accounts and just signed into my account that way. Lo and Behold it popped into my mail and my mail was back! Hope this helps anyone else.

Apr 15, 2019 11:07 AM in response to Anne262

the same happen to me, I stopped getting email in one of my gmail accounts and did everything I've found and nothing works.

so I deleted the gmail account and now can't add it back on.

every time I try I get this message. "Authentication Failed" Failed to authenticate with Google, please try again later.

so I try again later and get the same message. this is so frustrating!!!

Can't add email accounts to Apple Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.