Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Booting into Windows Not Working

Hey everyone,

I had a small experiment that works only part way and wanted to see if anyone had this issue and whether there is a solution.

I wanted to use my MacBook Pro (Late 2013) with Windows 10 to accommodate my .NET Development needs. I had Sierra installed on the MBP and tried to use the new Visual Studio for MAC on it. But, to my disappointment, the MAC version of Visual Studio does not compare to the Windows Version in terms of functionality, Git Storage, and publishing to my Hosting Service. So, I decided to wipe my MAC and performed a clean install of the latest Windows 1803 version. The windows installation went fine. Once finished, I had to use another PC to download the BootCamp tools and drivers; unzipped its content into a USB, and then ran Setup in my newly installed Windows OS on my MacBookPro. While watching the Device Manager as Bootcamp installed all the drivers, all the yellow exclamations disappeared and I ended-up with a clean Device Manager area. I was happy. I have Wi-Fi and everything else working on the Mac. Al this installation was done on the Mac, standalone, using the Mac keyboard and screen.

Then, I connected the Thunderbolt Monitor, shut down the Mac and rebooted. Yeah, I was able to see the screen in my Thunderbolt Monitor and my Internet connection is working as well. I was a happy camper until I installed some updates and had to reboot. That is when I discovered the issue. I am unable to perform a restart and regain my desktop. For some odd reason, the Boot Sector does not appear available when the laptop monitor is closed during a restart. I played around with it and can only restart if I shut Down, then open the laptop, click on the On button and then close the lid after the chime is sounded. If I do not follow these steps, the boot into windows can't happen.

Has anyone had this issue with a Windows install?

Is there a solution to this problem?

BTW, I tried to reinstall windows with the Thunderbolt monitor connected and the Mac Lid closed, but the reinstall failed with a Sysprep error. So, that is not an option, apparently.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), Windows 10

Posted on Jul 19, 2018 10:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2018 4:08 PM

I changed the Lid action settings to the settings posted below and it now works. Booting really fast! 🙂

User uploaded file

Similar questions

3 replies

Booting into Windows Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.