Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Latest podcast not showing up on iTunes

Hello,

I am doing a podcast that has been fine for a few years but the newest episode is not showing up on iTunes or Stitcher. It passes checks for validation, I have used a few feed validators. Still the new episode is not showing up after almost two weeks. Here are the two URLS one to the RSS Feed and the other to the iTunes URL.

http://www.cas.miamioh.edu/statsandstories/statsandstories.xml

Stats + Stories by The Stats + Stories Team at Miami University on Apple Podcasts

I would really like to better understand how to troubleshot these things. Is there a good source to learn more about troubleshooting podcasts?

Thanks

Guy

Posted on Jul 20, 2018 5:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2018 8:01 AM

The latest episode in the feed is number 061, published on the 12th of July. This is also the latest episode in the Store and when subscribing in iTunes, so everything is normal as far as the feed is concerned. Your 'link' tag in the top section of the feed points to a web page for episode 61. If there is a more recent episode I haven't seen any evidence of it, and it hasn't made it into the feed.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2018 8:01 AM in response to GuyMoore

The latest episode in the feed is number 061, published on the 12th of July. This is also the latest episode in the Store and when subscribing in iTunes, so everything is normal as far as the feed is concerned. Your 'link' tag in the top section of the feed points to a web page for episode 61. If there is a more recent episode I haven't seen any evidence of it, and it hasn't made it into the feed.

Jul 20, 2018 8:38 AM in response to GuyMoore

This article may help: http://rfwilmut.net/notes/diagnose.html

and see also https://help.apple.com/itc/podcasts_connect/#/itc561d27981

The checking procedure I use with a query like yours is first to go to the iTunes Store page (hopefully the questioned provides a link, though usually the title will enable finding it) and see what is listed there. Then I subscribe from the button on the Store page. I go to the Podcasts section and see what's listed there. I then control-click (Mac - right-click on Windows) on the title of the Podcast (not on an episode) and choose 'Copy Podcast URL' to get the feed URL; I compare this with the URL given by the poster - sometimes it's not the same and they have been updating the wrong feed. Indeed the URL you give for your feed in your first post is correct but the actual URL in the link is not.

Common errors which can completely wreck a feed are using an ampersand by itself, or forbidden characters such as control codes, 'curly quotes' or other strange characters.

Only certain media file types are allowed - .mp3, .m4a, .m4v, .mov or .mp4 file (not Windows Media, RealMedia, YouTube or Flash). If the 'type' attribute inside the 'enclosure' tag doesn't match the format of the actual file the process will fall over as iTunes tries to use the wrong codec. Also the media file filenames must not have spaces in them - spaces are not allowed in a URL and although browsers and some readers will correctly substitute the code %20 for each space, iTunes and Podcasts Connect do not and so see the URL ending at the first space.

Although you've had a lot of experience with podcasting, you might find some parts of my 'Get you started' page helpful - http://wilmut.uk/pc

If all else fails... post here!

Jul 20, 2018 8:09 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Roger,

Thanks for the reply! Yes 61 is the latest episode. I had been working on it this morning, I must have fixed something when I was working on it. Once in the past there was a control character in the file name and it would not find the file. Today I retyped the file names in the recent episodes. Maybe that was it. Do you have any suggestions to learn how to troubleshoot when problem like this comes up?

Thanks

Guy

Latest podcast not showing up on iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.