Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Firewire connection

I have a new 2018 MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports. Is there any way to connect devices to my new Mac using Firewire cables or adapters?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jul 23, 2018 12:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2018 9:40 AM

Again, thank you SO much for your help with this problem. My old 2009 MacBook Pro has a mini display port as you pictured on the right. That port, I believe, outputs picture only, not data.

I'm trying to connect the FireWire port on that computer to the Thunderbolt 3 port on my new one, see below.

User uploaded file

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2018 9:40 AM in response to JimmyCMPIT

Again, thank you SO much for your help with this problem. My old 2009 MacBook Pro has a mini display port as you pictured on the right. That port, I believe, outputs picture only, not data.

I'm trying to connect the FireWire port on that computer to the Thunderbolt 3 port on my new one, see below.

User uploaded file

Jul 24, 2018 9:44 AM in response to spumoni

Why are you trying to connect these two computers?

Connecting computers together, even if it works, does not usually do anything for you.

Do you want File Sharing? if so, you can share files over Wi-fi just by enabling the feature in

System preferences > Sharing >File Sharing ...

... and specifying what you want to share (default is Public Folder only).

Jul 24, 2018 9:52 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you.

I wanted to use Migration Assistant to move my info from my old computer to my new one. It's over 1TB of stuff. I ended up using an ethernet connection but it was still over 24 hours before I could use my new Mac. I know that Migration Assistant works over WiFi but that must take even longer. I was thinking there must be a faster solution. I would also like to use a firewire connection in the future for backups.

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Firewire connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.