Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS Update deleted photos off iphone

Hi, I updated my iphone 8 plus last night to IOS 11.4.1 and it deleted over 12,000 photos off my iphone, and reduced the total number of photos to 1000, over various years. I can still view the photos on my Macbook, icloud, etc, but am unable to download/view them on the iphone. All my icloud settings are switched on, and 24 hours ago prior to the update, I had full access to the 12 000 photos. I simply wish to be able to view all photos on all devices with the optimised storage mode.

Your help will be much appreciated!!!

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 11.4.1, photos

Posted on Jul 24, 2018 5:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2018 5:42 PM

If you are saying they are in iCloud Photo Library, and you have turned on iCloud Photo Library in Settings>iCloud>Photos on your device, then you are just going to have to be patient. It will take some time to download 12K photos to your device (up to a week or more).

Best,

GB

6 replies

Jul 24, 2018 5:32 PM in response to sallyledge

Where on your phone were they? If they were in the PhotoStream album, that is a temporary rolling repository that only stores the last 1000 photos.

If they are in the photo library on your Mac, you can either sync them to your phone via iTunes, or use iCloud photo library if you want all of your photos available all of the time on all of your devices.

IOS Update deleted photos off iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.