Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone - can't hear caller for first 5-10 seconds of call !!

I have an phone 5S. I am up to date with iOS 11.4.1. I use AT&T.

Aprox 5 calls out of 10, when I answer a call in my home, I can not hear the caller for the first 5-10 seconds. The caller can always hear me fine. I usually say something like "Hello ?! Hello ?! Hello !!", since I can not hear anything. Eventually when I can hear, the caller usually says something like "What's wrong with you ?? Why did you keep saying Hello ??!!" This is really frustrating for me and the callers !! I have tried Powering off/on; Airplane Mode on/off; Mobile Data off/on. Sometimes the problem clears up, but then comes back a few days later. In addition, calls occasionally get dropped. I don't know if this is related. (FaceTime and WhatsApp calls are much better and clearer than using traditional AT&T phone connection.)

Any ideas how to rectify this please ?? Thanks !!

iPhone 5s, iOS 11.4.1

Posted on Jul 25, 2018 1:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2018 7:47 AM

Hello torowe,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's my understanding you're intermittently unable to hear other callers on your iPhone 5s. You've done an excellent job trying to get this resolved so far! If you haven't already, I recommend following the remaining steps in the link below:

If you can't hear a person on a call or voicemail or if the sound isn't clear on your iPhone

Have a great day!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2018 7:47 AM in response to torowe

Hello torowe,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's my understanding you're intermittently unable to hear other callers on your iPhone 5s. You've done an excellent job trying to get this resolved so far! If you haven't already, I recommend following the remaining steps in the link below:

If you can't hear a person on a call or voicemail or if the sound isn't clear on your iPhone

Have a great day!

iphone - can't hear caller for first 5-10 seconds of call !!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.