Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't login

Hi,

On starting my Macbook Air clicking my user icon and entering my password the status bar loads to about 50% then freezes. The screen then goes blank for about 30 seconds and intermittently comes on and off indefinitely, never loading past 50%.

I can start and browse as a guest user but it won't allow me to login under my own account.

MacBook Air, iOS 11.4.1

Posted on Jul 27, 2018 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2018 3:17 PM

There's a problem with your user account. Try this:

How to Create a New User Account if You Cannot Access Your Admin Account

Reboot the computer. At the chime press and hold down the COMMAND-S keys to start into Single-user Mode. You will boot to a black screen with scrolling white text, release the keys and wait until it finishes. Enter the following lines at the command prompt pressing RETURN after each:

mount -uw /

^-----------------Note the space after 'mount'

rm /var/db/.applesetupdone

^-----------------Note the space after 'rm'

reboot

After you reboot the computer you will be taken to the Setup Assistant. When you get to the point where you are asked to set up your new user account, create a new admin account. Be sure to name this user account something different than the admin user account that already exists on the system. When you finish the Setup Assistant, it will automatically log you into the new account.

You can transfer your files from the old account to the new one. See Transferring files from one User Account to another. Once you have moved all your files into your new account, you can delete the old account using Accounts or Users & Groups preferences.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2018 3:17 PM in response to justy3116

There's a problem with your user account. Try this:

How to Create a New User Account if You Cannot Access Your Admin Account

Reboot the computer. At the chime press and hold down the COMMAND-S keys to start into Single-user Mode. You will boot to a black screen with scrolling white text, release the keys and wait until it finishes. Enter the following lines at the command prompt pressing RETURN after each:

mount -uw /

^-----------------Note the space after 'mount'

rm /var/db/.applesetupdone

^-----------------Note the space after 'rm'

reboot

After you reboot the computer you will be taken to the Setup Assistant. When you get to the point where you are asked to set up your new user account, create a new admin account. Be sure to name this user account something different than the admin user account that already exists on the system. When you finish the Setup Assistant, it will automatically log you into the new account.

You can transfer your files from the old account to the new one. See Transferring files from one User Account to another. Once you have moved all your files into your new account, you can delete the old account using Accounts or Users & Groups preferences.

I can't login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.