Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

startup disk not recognised, unable to access boot or recovery mode however tried on macbook 5.2 early 2009 model.

hello,

i am using macbook 13" early 2009 model mb5.2 version. Elcaptain(max supported OS).

recently i though to upgrade high sierra 10.13.6(unsupported) using patch tool. i did clean install successfully without any errors. (dont have any backup or time machine- complete erase all data and installed mac os hs).

It's clean and complete os without any any installation problems....

after a two days of usage i found my mac is working very slow, sometimes stuck on loading os. and other hardware problems are like camera hardware is not discovered on this OS HS. and mic dont respond sometimes.

so then i though to roll back/downgrade to el captain. I followed the instructions as suggested by apple service centre(telephone).

Command + R to getting into recovery mode

i then tried to reinstall MAc os from disk utility in boot.

--> it then took me to the page install high sierra. (which i dont wish to / i dint find any option to roll back into lion os or the earlier os that came along at the time of purchase.)

and then again as per the instruction by Apple care service centre for /internet recovery clean install,

i did Control +R, then disk utility > erase all data from macintosh HD.

then > recovery Mac os. still the same page of high sierra. cant see other options for downloading earlier versions of os like lion, elcaptain. However for now, i went again through hish sierra. > continue> there is an error ,something like operation couldn't be completed.........." so i had to check restart into recovery mode to see if it work again. but unfortunately it didn't.

later after an hour when i restarted Mac to try again...... from then onwards i am seeing the same error.... can't get through...

very famous crazy " blinking question mark folder" appears when i start mac.

the same is seen when i try to getting into recovery mode. here non of the options "combination of keys working". whatever i tried, i just see the blank white page with blinking question mark folder.

and yes!!! when i tried restart my pc by press hold "option" key > i get into blank white page with mouse pointer. i can float the cursor around the screen, except that i cant do any thing. i tried waited on the same screen for two hrs. same is the case.

tried D key while startup, v key, and followed all the other instruction for reset SMS, Pram/NVRAM, Option (?)—D, Command (?)—Option (?)—R, Command (?)—R, Command (?)—V, Command (?)—S. but nothing is helpfull.

I read online, some guy after he did upgrade to high sierra on his macbook pro 13": he reported that at the time of update/upgrading his logic board is also updated to high sierra files. and now it is not wable to read old versions of os or hdd. if this is true and it's the problem... so can any one suggest me any solution to reset my logic board to read my start up disk.

" now i cant access to boot or recovery mode" "startup disk is not recognized" " no usb is recognized by pressing Option key while starting mac." need any help.

i'd sincerely appreciate any valuable suggestions.

i am really looking for some expert guys who can really solve this.

my contact: kiran.kirk@yahoo.in

+9+71529424675 you can call me or ping me, i can call back. thank you

MacBook, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), early 2009 model mb5.2

Posted on Jul 29, 2018 1:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2018 1:13 AM

Hi Everyone!!

Finally, i could able to fix this issue.

as you know, if you're also having the same problem.. None of the combination of keys working during startup while to get into boot or recovery mode . or your startup disk not recognised.

apparently, you're seeing either blinking question mark folder, or blank white page with mouse pointing cursor on the scree.

this can be happening because due to the following reasons:

1. while you try to clean install your mac os, as you did erase the Macintosh HD, which means it also deleted the recovery data on the disk. So accordingly, while in next bootup your mac would not recognise any start up volume or any any recovery disk volume.

2. also, you'd not able to use any combination of functions like command+R or any other.

in this case, many people reported on their sites and vlogs that HDD cable replacement or HDD replacement can solve the problem. Hmmm. Actually it's not the case.

Please check to confirm your HDD working or detecting.

(follow the below instructions to confirm your hdd: remove the HDD from your mac, and by the help of HDD connectors, try to connect to other mac PC/Macbook.

go to disk utility, do verify, repair, and erase if necessary if you've already done at the time of clean install process.

then install the HDD to your MAC. )

After you make sure, that HDD is working. then mount back to your Macbook.

and now you still see the same problem. Dont panik.

for the next steps you require two pendrive's.

1. using one pendrive create recovery disk assistant using another macbook(with mac os Lion or any OS that actually compatible and supported by your Mac).

Download Recovery disk assistant link from the link: http://support.apple.com/downloads/DL1433/en_US/RecoveryDiskAssistant.dmg

then install the file on running Macbook, mount your pendrive1 and create recovery disk.

(remember it not OS, its just recovery disk to enable you to getting into bootloader.)

2. Using other Pendrive for Bootable Mac os X.

After creating the bootable recovery disk. mount it to your macbook and press and hold command +R and turn on power botton.

now it will take you to recovery OS mode.

try to erase HDD using Disk utility in boot, and repair and verify for confirm if the drives are reassigned for booting mode.

now using USB Bootable Mac OS X pendrive. you can intsall the os on the desired volume.

Now you will be able able to access to mac os or boot /recovery mode without any recovery disk assistant next time.

All the best.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2018 1:13 AM in response to kiran kirk

Hi Everyone!!

Finally, i could able to fix this issue.

as you know, if you're also having the same problem.. None of the combination of keys working during startup while to get into boot or recovery mode . or your startup disk not recognised.

apparently, you're seeing either blinking question mark folder, or blank white page with mouse pointing cursor on the scree.

this can be happening because due to the following reasons:

1. while you try to clean install your mac os, as you did erase the Macintosh HD, which means it also deleted the recovery data on the disk. So accordingly, while in next bootup your mac would not recognise any start up volume or any any recovery disk volume.

2. also, you'd not able to use any combination of functions like command+R or any other.

in this case, many people reported on their sites and vlogs that HDD cable replacement or HDD replacement can solve the problem. Hmmm. Actually it's not the case.

Please check to confirm your HDD working or detecting.

(follow the below instructions to confirm your hdd: remove the HDD from your mac, and by the help of HDD connectors, try to connect to other mac PC/Macbook.

go to disk utility, do verify, repair, and erase if necessary if you've already done at the time of clean install process.

then install the HDD to your MAC. )

After you make sure, that HDD is working. then mount back to your Macbook.

and now you still see the same problem. Dont panik.

for the next steps you require two pendrive's.

1. using one pendrive create recovery disk assistant using another macbook(with mac os Lion or any OS that actually compatible and supported by your Mac).

Download Recovery disk assistant link from the link: http://support.apple.com/downloads/DL1433/en_US/RecoveryDiskAssistant.dmg

then install the file on running Macbook, mount your pendrive1 and create recovery disk.

(remember it not OS, its just recovery disk to enable you to getting into bootloader.)

2. Using other Pendrive for Bootable Mac os X.

After creating the bootable recovery disk. mount it to your macbook and press and hold command +R and turn on power botton.

now it will take you to recovery OS mode.

try to erase HDD using Disk utility in boot, and repair and verify for confirm if the drives are reassigned for booting mode.

now using USB Bootable Mac OS X pendrive. you can intsall the os on the desired volume.

Now you will be able able to access to mac os or boot /recovery mode without any recovery disk assistant next time.

All the best.

startup disk not recognised, unable to access boot or recovery mode however tried on macbook 5.2 early 2009 model.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.