Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I put my iPad Air2 into DFU Mode?

I had my iPad screen replaced by a third-party. The touch ID now will not work. Based on my research, this can easily be fixed by putting the iPad into DFU mode, then resetting. Apparently, the screen and home button are married at the factory. I cannot seem to get into DFU mode. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

iPad Air2-OTHER, iOS 11.4.1

Posted on Jul 29, 2018 3:43 PM

13 replies

Jul 30, 2018 1:49 PM in response to Kappy

Yes there is. But, on my iPad, it is grayed out. Here is what I see when I go to that setting -

User uploaded file

When i try to enable any use of Touch ID, I get this message -

User uploaded file

So, I am trying to complete the setup, but have yet to discover a method. Thus, my search for a way, which led to the suggestion to use DFU mode.

Jul 29, 2018 5:08 PM in response to NoBite

Place your Device into DFU Mode

Follow these steps to place your iOS device into recovery mode. If your iOS device is already in recovery mode, you can proceed immediately to step 6.

1. Disconnect the USB cable from the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch and leave

one end of the cable connected to your computer's USB port.

2. Turn off the device: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds

until the red slider appears, then slide the slider. Wait for the device to turn off.

* If you cannot turn off the device using the slider, press and hold the

Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. When the device turns off,

release the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons.

3. While pressing and holding the Home button, reconnect the USB cable to the

device. The device should turn on. Note: If you see the battery charge warning,

let the device charge for at least ten minutes, and then start with step 2 again.

4. Continue holding the Home button until you see the "Connect to iTunes" screen.

When this screen appears you can release the Home button:

5. If necessary, open iTunes. You should see the following "recovery mode" alert:

6. Use iTunes to restore the device.

If you don't see the "Connect to iTunes" screen, try these steps again. If you see the "Connect to iTunes" screen but the device does not appear in iTunes, see this article and its related links.

Jul 30, 2018 1:59 PM in response to NoBite

If you have restored your system and it is otherwise working, then make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. If you did not purchase it from Apple then you will need to look to the vendor for service or How to find your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Distributor (AAD).

Jul 30, 2018 12:43 PM in response to NoBite

I have used it many times. What you get is DFU.

DFU mode is a state that you can put your iPhone into where it can interface with iTunes, but does not load the iPhone operating system or boot loader (this is what really differs DFU mode from the simpler recovery mode). DFU stands for Device Firmware Update

Jul 30, 2018 12:48 PM in response to Kappy

Ok, I certainly agree with your definition! When I followed those instructions, I did get th connect to iTunes graphic on my iPad. Upon opening iTunes I got a text box offering me the opportunity to restore my iPad. I clicked that and iTunes stRted downloading IOS. 11.4.1 (which was already in my iPad, of cours). So, I agreed to that and after the software downloaded, I got a message saying my iPad was already updated with the latest software. At that point I backed out of everything. Should I have opted to restore my iPad? I am trying to get to the point of being able to set up Touch ID again. I can restore apps and all data from a recent backup.

Jul 30, 2018 1:36 PM in response to Kappy

So, Kappy, you think that by doing this I will be able to set up a new Touch ID? To my understanding, the link between the Home Button and Screen, that allows Touch ID, is set up at the factory. When the screen is replaced, but the Home Button is not, that link is broken. According to some sources, you need to go to DFU Mode to restore the iPad and establish that link. I’m confused a bit because I’ve never used DFU mode before and had never given this any thought until recently.

How do I put my iPad Air2 into DFU Mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.