Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to download El Capitan

Used the Apple link How to download OS X El Capitan - Apple Support which then gives a link to the App Store for El Capitan but doesn't work. Tried with 2 different Macbooks, both can run it (one already does) but the store just says it can't be installed on the Macbook. Anyone else had a similar issue?

Posted on Aug 1, 2018 6:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2018 8:02 AM

Sign in to the App Store using the Apple ID you use on your other MacBook that has El Capitan. Go to the Purchased page and see if it will allow you to download El Capitan. And use a wired connection rather than wifi if you can.

Can you post screenshots of what you are seeing.

5 replies

Aug 1, 2018 7:24 AM in response to morrowsolutions

If the App Store detects that your Mac can install a newer OS than El Capitan it will refuse to download El Capitan.

What Mac, model and year are you trying to download it for. You say you have one of your MacBooks already running El Capitan, open the App Store Purchased page and see if you can download it that way. If it downloads then once it has completed look in your Application folder for Install OS X El Capitan.app, if you find it copy it and move it to your other MacBook and install it that way. In fact try signing in to the App Store using the Apple ID you use on the MacBook that has El Capitan installed, go to the Purchased page and download El Capitan that way. Make a copy of the install app in your Applications folder before starting the installation and keep it somewhere safe, the one in the Applications folder self deletes on completion of the installation.

Aug 1, 2018 7:35 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Oh I didn't know if it could run something newer it would refuse. I tried the purchased download (took 6 hours) but when I tried to get it there seemed to be a problem. It had a question mark through it although it said on the App store install. Wasn't able to see it in Applications. Spent about an hour on the phone with Apple but still no solution. Will try that way again. Thanks.

Unable to download El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.