Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to download El capitan for my older machine but not available on App store

Hi, I have an iMac 2007 A1224 and want to install El Capitan or Yosemite so that i can be able to install latest programs. When i search on App store they're both not available. can you help please!?

Posted on Sep 3, 2018 1:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2018 2:31 AM

You can no longer download Yosemite unless of course you had downloaded it previously, then it should show up in the Purchased section of the App Store.

El Capitan is still available for download for those Macs that cannot upgrade to Sierra or High Sierra.

How to download OS X El Capitan - Apple Support

Make a note of the specifications, if your Mac can install Sierra or High Sierra then the download of El Caitan will be declined. Use a Mac that cannot upgrade further than El Capitan.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2018 2:31 AM in response to quzeme

You can no longer download Yosemite unless of course you had downloaded it previously, then it should show up in the Purchased section of the App Store.

El Capitan is still available for download for those Macs that cannot upgrade to Sierra or High Sierra.

How to download OS X El Capitan - Apple Support

Make a note of the specifications, if your Mac can install Sierra or High Sierra then the download of El Caitan will be declined. Use a Mac that cannot upgrade further than El Capitan.

Sep 3, 2018 2:56 AM in response to quzeme

Well you will need to replace the hard drive, either do it yourself if the iMac is user serviceable or get someone to do it for you, then you will need to install the original OS from those grey install discs you kept. What was the original OS that came with the iMac? Once installed make sure any further updates have been applied via the App Store and then you can then upgrade to El Capitan.

I want to download El capitan for my older machine but not available on App store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.