Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

circled exclamation point in the lower right hand corner of a photo

hi,

I've had a circled exclamation point in the lower right hand corner of a photo for a long time now and i know it is because i have the 'optimize iphone storage' option on. i really want to put all of my photo's on my laptop to clean out my iphone but i can't because my macbook won't see my pictures because of the exclamation point so i can't storage the pictures on my macbook. also i learned from an article that i should put my settings on the option 'download and keep originals' for the exclamation point to go away but when i do this my phone says it isn't possible because i don't have enough storage.

can you please tell me how i can solve this problem because i don't know what to do.

thanks,

sanna

Posted on Aug 4, 2018 12:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2018 8:10 AM

Hi. I have the same issue sometimes, but with my iPad Mini 2. I live on the beach and when l wanna sit on a bench on the boardwalk, l have a lot of videos saved on my camera roll on my iPad, it will show the exclamation point symbol. I want every video to play on my iPad wherever location l am at. It frustrates me =/Reply

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2018 8:10 AM in response to Asher Menezes

Hi. I have the same issue sometimes, but with my iPad Mini 2. I live on the beach and when l wanna sit on a bench on the boardwalk, l have a lot of videos saved on my camera roll on my iPad, it will show the exclamation point symbol. I want every video to play on my iPad wherever location l am at. It frustrates me =/Reply

Aug 4, 2018 12:56 AM in response to sannafromeindhoven

The exclamation point on an iPhone photo means that the photo is not original but just a copy of original that’s been compressed.

Apple has cloud storage and cloud computing service called iCloud, which enables Apple users to store their data on a remote server. By this, one can access their data from any device even if their Apple device is not handy.

iPhones have a setting to upload the photos to iCloud. The original photos will be uploaded to iCloud. If the iPhone is running on a low space, we will also have an option to Optimize iPhone Storage. This will replace the original photos on our iPhone with the optimized ones. This is when, we will see that exclamation point on the photo.

To get rid of that exclamation point, we will get to download the original photo from the iCloud. For that, select Download and Keep Originals option under Settings > Photos.

• You have iCloud Photo Library turned on on your device.
  • The photos you are looking at are in iCloud, and can only be put on to your Mac/PC via iCloud Photo Library. You cannot import those photos directly from the iOS device since they are not in the Camera Roll.
  • You can go to Settings -> Tap your name -> iCloud, on the phone and turn off iCloud Photo Library, and all of the photos that are in the All Photos album will no longer be on the device.

Once you follow the steps in the articles to get your photos downloaded to your Mac/PC, you can turn off iCloud Photo Library everywhere, and go back to the regular process of importing your photos to your PC: Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

But right now, there is no way to move those photos from your phone to your Mac/PC. You need to download them from the iCloud Photo Library to your PC.

circled exclamation point in the lower right hand corner of a photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.