Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 1.1 died. If no diagnostic LEDs illuminate, what does this indicate?

MacPro1.1 died. No diagnostic LEDs illuminate on board. No sound or fans with power button. Replaced battery and verified power cable.

With no diagnostic LEDs lighting on logic board, does this indicate a bad power supply or bad logic board? Even the power button LED does not light. Seems this would indicate power supply, but after searching a while, haven't found similar problem.

Suggestions how to test power supply welcome.

Thank-you!

Mac Pro, null

Posted on Aug 3, 2018 9:46 PM

7 replies

Aug 4, 2018 5:34 AM in response to colorado1876

Ok, update. Forgot to mention I had already tried removing all components and also reseting SMC. Nothing. Not even a click sound of the relay when touching the power button. Found the service manual here: http://tesselator.gpmod.com/_Text/MacPro_Service_Manual.pdf

On page 120, it states:

Power Supply Verication

To power on, the computer’s logic board requires “trickle” power. If the system fails to power on, rst reset the SMC as described in this chapter. If the computer still doesn’t power on, follow theprocedure outlined below to determine whether the issue is related to the power supply.

Verify trickle power

Diagnostic LED 1 indicates the presence of trickle power required by the logic board to begin thestartup process.

LED 1 should be yellow when the DIAG_ LED button is pressed, indicating that trickle voltage ispresent.

Verify Power Supply Is Providing Power

Diagnostic LED 7 indicates that the main power is OK and within regulation. Plug in AC power cord, and press the power-on button on the front panel.

LED 7 should be green when the DIAG_ LED button is pressed, indicating that the main power is OK and within regulation.

What is odd is it does not state what the source of problem is if there is no trickle power. I don't have trickle power, so is that logic board, power switch, or power supply?

Removed power supply and tested the fuse. It is OK. Found attached image of power supply pinouts. From this, can anyone tell how to test the power supply (short jumpers?)?

Mac Pro 1.1, Mid 2006, A1186 (also: MA356LL/A)

Processors: Mac Pro 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo

Power Supply Model: DPS-980AB A Rev: 01F (Manufactured by: Delta)

Power Supply Apple Part Number: 614-0383

User uploaded file

Aug 4, 2018 9:13 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank-you for confirming my suspicions. I'll look for a replacement power supply.

For those that would like to test this Apple DPS-980AB A power supply (for any power problem), this may help. Power supplies can be dangerous so you are at your own risk!

There are four connectors coming from the power supply: J1, J2, J3, and a fourth unlabeled one (i believed call "C"). You want to test the fourth unlabeled one, "C". On the "C" connector, connect the PSU ON pin (#8 in diagram) using a paper clip or small jumper wire to a nearby ground pin to ground (#2, #5, or #10). Please reference attached diagram below and the "J4" connector in the previously posted diagram in post above. Unplug all four connectors so the power supply is isolated, but plug in the 120v power cable. Using a multimeter, place one probe on a powered pin (see diagram) and the other on a nearby ground pin. If there is no voltage (+3.3V or 5V, depending on pin), then the power supply may need replacing or a new fuse.

User uploaded file

You can check the power supply fuse also with a multimeter set to the Diode setting (look for symbol similar to below). Place a probe on each leg of the fuse. If you're multimeter reads "000" (and or beeps), the fuse is good (See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuWly36NyEE)

User uploaded file

If the fuse is good and the power supply is working, you can move on to testing other things. FWIW, my power supply fuse tested OK, but the power supply PSU ON test failed.

Hope this helps.

Aug 4, 2018 6:41 AM in response to colorado1876

What is odd is it does not state what the source of problem is if there is no trickle power.

Trickle power is an "always-on" power supply. It will be provided by a working power supply when the AC cord is supplied with AC power. It is required to power up the machine.

If your Mac has been off power for a while, or if it is just getting old, the nominal 3 Volt non-recharging coin cell on the mainboard may interfere with trickle power and preclude power-on. If investigating, be sure to use a bright light and proceed cautiously, as its battery-holder is very fragile.

Aug 4, 2018 7:26 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant, thank-you for the info. Given there is no trickle power it is likely the power supply. However, it would be nice to know if a failed logic board can still illuminate the diagnostic LEDs. At this point it is difficult to tell if it is power supply, logic board, or both. Can a failed logic board still illuminate the diagnostic LEDs? If a failed logic board cannot illuminate diagnostic LEDs and no LEDs are lit, then it it may be more likely the logic board is the problem.

FWIW, the computer is used regularly and the power failed occurred yesterday while powered on. I did not notice any failure symptoms as I was using a different computer at the time.

I tried repowering many ways. With old battery removed. With new replacement battery. Unplugging power cord...waiting...etc, etc. following the Apple manual and other power related threads. In none of the attempts were any sounds heard (e.g., power switch relay) and pressing the diagnostic LED button each time resulted in no LEDs illuminating.

After about 6 hours of reading related threads and articles, I still haven't come across any info stating how to diagnose further when no diagnostic LEDs illuminate (including Apple's own manual). However, given Grant's comments, I'm inclined to think the power supply has failed.

For anyone replacing a Mac Pro 1.1 power supply, be advised: You have to match part of the serial number as well as the part number of the replacament power supply. Part number is usually: XXX-XXXX. The serial number is: XXXXXXXXEEEX. The last 3 of 4 letters or numbers (the EEE code) is the version number of the PSU. These letters/numbers must match or the power supply may not correctly manage the cooling fans.

Aug 4, 2018 8:23 AM in response to colorado1876

Lighting up an LED when a voltage is present/not is so simple, it is near-impossible to have that be a logic board failure.

Also, Trickle Power will appear on a uniquely-colored wire (or few wires) from the power supply. It may be the 3.3 Volts you see labeled on those connectors. With the AC power cord attached, If your connectors are completely dead (no measurable voltages anywhere), you have no trickle power -- it is an "always-on" power supply.

Mac Pro 1.1 died. If no diagnostic LEDs illuminate, what does this indicate?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.