Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connections to the server “imap.gmail.com” on the default ports timed out.

Hi,

Since upgrading to Sierra High 10.13.6 Gmail wont connect in Mail-app.
I've been trying for a week now scanning trough every forum and tips and idea, I've deleted ALL account numerous times and adding only Gmail in internet Options both as the Google-link and as stand-alone settings.

Nothing works, everytime I open Mail I get a "Connecting"-message in the right corner followed by a triangle with an exklamation mark saying "Connections to the server “imap.gmail.com” on the default ports timed out.".

I've tried to manually set the port to all ports suggested by google and it just wont connect.

I have the "allow less secure app" setting on, and also tried more then 5 different networks with different firewalls.

This is getting really frustrating and I can't seem to find the answer to what is actually wrong anywhere.

Why wont Mail connect to Gmail? The real answer would be lovely.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Aug 6, 2018 4:00 PM

8 replies

Aug 7, 2018 12:04 PM in response to i_rina

Hi i_rina,

I've used the connection doctor and got the same problem for both my iCloud-account and Email-account:User uploaded file

I do as instructed and de-select the "use TSL/SSL"-box and the problem persists and is exactly the same.
I tried setting it up in Outlook and it worked right away without any problems whatsoever but Outlook does not offer the same easy-going filtering/flag-system as Mac OS Mail does and I really really want it to work.

It did work fine until the latest upgrade of High Sierra (10.13.6).

Gmail-servers seems fine and as you can see the iCloud-account shows the same error.

Any other ideas?

Best Regards
Robert

Aug 8, 2018 6:15 AM in response to CarlAVII

Hi,

Well, the list of login-items was deleted in a previous try to solve this so I have no login-items at all.
I did have one program Avid Pro Tools that autostarted eventhough it wasn't in the list, this was removed by opening Library/LaunchAgents and change the plist file from <key>RunAtLoad</key> TRUE to FALSE.

Still problem persists...

I see no other option then to reinstall High Sierra from scratch and that is not something I want to do since it's my company that owns this computer and they will not be happy if I start doing that.

Any other suggestion or is this where I should give up?

BR
Robert

Aug 7, 2018 11:34 AM in response to Drummerrob

Hello Drummerrob,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that you are encountering a server connection error with your Gmail account on your MacBook Pro. I would be happy to help point you towards a resolution.

Let's start by seeing if the Mail Connection Doctor can give us some additional insight as to potential causes for this behavior:

Use Connection Doctor in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

If there are no issues detected in the Mail Connection Doctor, you may also want to consider contacting Gmail directly for help. Here's some additional steps you can try first:

If you can’t send or receive email on your Mac - Apple Support

Specifically, check out this section:

If you're connected to the Internet but the connection timed out, your email provider could be experiencing a service outage. Contact them for help, or check their website for a system status page. Apple's system status page shows the status of iCloud Mail and other services. Status pages are also available for Gmail and Outlook, for example.

Take care!

Aug 7, 2018 1:55 PM in response to Drummerrob

Hi Drummerrob,

If you haven't already done so, testing if this behavior happens in another user account could help determine if the issue is related to files or settings for this user account. If you don't have another user account, here's how you can set up a new account for testing:

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

If you receive the same connection error with another user account, try restarting the Mac in safe mode as well:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

If you've already tried these steps, or they do not resolve your mail issue, I would suggest reaching out to Apple Support next:

Contact - Official Apple Support

Have a wonderful rest of your day!

Aug 7, 2018 5:06 PM in response to Drummerrob

Hello Drummerrob,

I'm glad to hear that the Mail app was working properly in safe mode. That means that there's likely some incompatible login items causing this behavior. Here's how you can check to see if that is the case:

macOS Sierra: If you think you have incompatible login items

If you're only able to access your email while in safe mode after ruling out incompatible login items, contacting Apple Support using the link above would be a good idea.

Cheers!

Aug 7, 2018 12:38 PM in response to Drummerrob

Hi Drummerrob,

Thanks for following up with the additional information. If you're currently using a firewall we'll also want to have you check that ports 25, 465, or 587 aren't being blocked. Some additional information that would be helpful to know is:

1. Are you able to sign in to either email account using webmail instead of the Mail app?
  2. Do you have a different Wi-Fi network you can connect the Mac to, then check if you receive the same error accessing Mail?
Cheers!

Aug 7, 2018 1:00 PM in response to raina_b22

Hi,
I tried to even deactivate my firewall, same problem also tried several different wifis at different locations.

1. There is no problem whatsoever logging in to my account through webmail, it also works perfectly in Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Firebird and other email-clients, it's only Mail on Mac OS that gives me this problem.

2. Yes, I tried a bunch of locations, my home, my work, the airport, cellular, all with the same result as above "could not connect to smtp server..."

I should mention that I've tried about everything written in the forums already except reinstalling my whole OS but I'm not willing to go that far. I've deleted ALL internet accounts several time, I've deleted the folders in Library and so on. Always with the same result "Could not connect to SMTP server.."

BR

Robert Wiiand

Aug 7, 2018 3:27 PM in response to raina_b22

Hi Becky_s22,

This actually brought us one step closer to a solution as it worked fine in safe mode (not with a new user).

I booted in safe mode, opened Mail and right away it downloaded my full Gmail mailbox.
I restarted and booted in normal mode and the problem is back.

So I know it works in safe mode but I don't know why, do you have any suggestion?

BR
Robert

Connections to the server “imap.gmail.com” on the default ports timed out.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.