Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos App crashing whilst updating library

Photos app on iMac crashing on opening whilst trying to update library after upgrading to High Sierra from Sierra. Gets to 35% before hanging and then crashing. At the moment my entire library has gone. Tried iCloud and photos not opening there either. Looking for suggestions to get library back.

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Aug 7, 2018 1:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2018 3:34 AM

Thanks for reply

Just been on the phone with Apple for half an hour

This is what worked for me:

Start Mac and then press Option+Cmd+P+R and release when you hear second start up sound - I was told this resets RAM

Then open Photos whilst holding down option key

Choose 'Other Library'

Open the library you require from Finder list

I had an updating screen for a few mins whilst it got to 5% and then it switched to an empty Photos app - after a few more mins all the photos were back

Hope this helps someone

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2018 3:34 AM in response to LarryHN

Thanks for reply

Just been on the phone with Apple for half an hour

This is what worked for me:

Start Mac and then press Option+Cmd+P+R and release when you hear second start up sound - I was told this resets RAM

Then open Photos whilst holding down option key

Choose 'Other Library'

Open the library you require from Finder list

I had an updating screen for a few mins whilst it got to 5% and then it switched to an empty Photos app - after a few more mins all the photos were back

Hope this helps someone

Aug 8, 2018 5:14 AM in response to Dwyerfen

That is really surprising, that resetting the NVRAM/PRAM did help with Photos crashing.

Most of the items cached in the NVRAM do not apply to Photos, perhaps the display resolution:

See: Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Settings that can be stored in NVRAM include sound volume, display resolution, startup-disk selection, time zone, and recent kernel panic information. The settings stored in NVRAM depend on your Mac and the devices that you're using with your Mac.

Photos App crashing whilst updating library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.