Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

So how do I fix my Mac displayingvthe question mark folder icon.

It happened almost out of nowhere last week, my Mac when starting up couldn’t find the hard drive And the question mark folder icon remained in the display.

Posted on Aug 8, 2018 7:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2018 7:21 PM

If you see a folder with a question mark appear instead of the Apple logo, it means your Mac couldn't find a local or network-based startup disk. This can happen if the disk selected in the Startup Disk pane of System Preferences isn't available. Wait a few seconds to see if your Mac is able to locate the startup disk you specified.

If you still see a question mark after waiting a few seconds, use Startup Manager to start up your Mac, then select your startup disk from System Preferences.

If a question mark appears after you install a software update, select your startup disk again using macOS Recovery.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2018 7:21 PM in response to Nestof526

If you see a folder with a question mark appear instead of the Apple logo, it means your Mac couldn't find a local or network-based startup disk. This can happen if the disk selected in the Startup Disk pane of System Preferences isn't available. Wait a few seconds to see if your Mac is able to locate the startup disk you specified.

If you still see a question mark after waiting a few seconds, use Startup Manager to start up your Mac, then select your startup disk from System Preferences.

If a question mark appears after you install a software update, select your startup disk again using macOS Recovery.

So how do I fix my Mac displayingvthe question mark folder icon.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.