Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac slow to wake from sleep

After updating to High Sierra 10.13.6 on August 8, my iMac takes longer to wake from Sleep mode. Why is this?

Posted on Aug 10, 2018 5:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2018 5:30 AM

FWIW, I gave up on the Sleep function years ago. Ever since the inception of OS X there have been Sleep related issues. And even more lately. I just use Display Sleep and keep it set for 15 minutes so I'm not burning the screen. That way your Mac uses very little power over Sleep and is ready to use at the touch of a key without any grogginess. UNIX based systems were made to be always on and they’ve been running busy servers 24/7 for decades.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2018 5:30 AM in response to Allison P

FWIW, I gave up on the Sleep function years ago. Ever since the inception of OS X there have been Sleep related issues. And even more lately. I just use Display Sleep and keep it set for 15 minutes so I'm not burning the screen. That way your Mac uses very little power over Sleep and is ready to use at the touch of a key without any grogginess. UNIX based systems were made to be always on and they’ve been running busy servers 24/7 for decades.

Aug 10, 2018 8:49 AM in response to Allison P

There are a fair number of people experiencing this "display slow to wake from sleep" issue after the macOS 10.13.6 update. One thing that others have discovered is to use the Power Button to wake from sleep instead of the wireless keyboard, mouse or trackpad. When you use the power button to wake from sleep, the display wakes normally. See if this works for you. Apple is aware of this issue which started with macOS 10.13.6.

Apple contacted me and at least one other person that I know of on 7/20/18 about this issue. We submitted system diagnostics, but have yet to see a macOS 10.13.6 supplemental update.

Please submit feedback to Apple about this issue. The more people that submit feedback, the better chance Apple might fix it.

http:// www.apple.com/feedback/

Aug 12, 2018 2:17 PM in response to macjack

No - you replied the same thing to 2 different posters (at least).

No - your advice is not worth taking since it doesn't address the actual issue with 10.13.6.

No - your advice wrt to "Unix server land" is a misleading justification for your non-solution.

No - Sleep saves energy - something everyone should be concerned with.

So, No. I won't take your advice.

Yes. That is up to me.

Aug 12, 2018 1:33 PM in response to macjack

Why do you reply the same way several times? Not useful as well as generally wrong.

I've been using Sleep on several Macs for many years w/o issue. Some people do have issues but that doesn't mean your solution has any bearing on the matter at hand. In fact it does not.

1. As others have replied there is a workaround. (Power button instead of keyboard/trackpad to "wake").

2. Apple are aware of the issue - they'll probably issue a fix sometime before the decade is out.

iMac slow to wake from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.