Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme Router and Modem?

I have been having problems with my internet connection for a long time. So now I am wondering if I have everything hooked up wrong. We have internet services from the local electric company. We use an apple airport extreme on one line and an apple time capsule on the other line by using an ether cable straight into the apple routers. My question is do we need to use a modem from the wall using an ether cable before connecting to the apple routers?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Aug 10, 2018 9:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2018 11:14 PM

No .. they are wireless routers.. there is no modem.

But if your Electricity Supplier is using power lines for internet the modem is very special and MUST be supplied to you. That is why you ring the supplier.. and you can see if you are plugged into the correct port because the green light will go on.

Similar questions

3 replies

Aug 10, 2018 9:22 PM in response to nettles23

The electric company could be connected to just one point in the house and you are trying to connect to other wall outlets that are not connected.

Easy to tell.. when you plug the airport into the wall port the connectivity light should turn green on the port of the airport. If it doesn't turn green then ring the company and ask about the configuration.

Airport Extreme Router and Modem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.