Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth Mouse Not Recognized at Restart (High Sierra Macbook Pro)

I just bought a Macbook Pro a week ago and rebooted the machine for the first time today. I generally use it plugged into dual monitors with external bluetooth keyboard (magic keyboard) and mouse (Logitech MX Master 2S bluetooth mouse). But when I restart, the mouse isn't recognized. Because I'm set up to require login every time I restart, it's pretty much impossible to log in without a mouse to click the user icon. I have to open the laptop and access the trackpad to do this, which is a pain in the behind and requires unplugging the monitors, which I don't want to have to do *every* time I restart.

Hope there is an easy fix for this.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Aug 11, 2018 11:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2018 3:19 PM

Hi JesseTNC,

You can also use the arrow keys to select a user account to log into.

Is FileVault enabled on your Mac? If so, this might explain the issue: macOS hasn't been booted yet. Because the operating system itself is encrypted (along with all of your data), your Mac boots to an alternative volume and presents a login window to permit you to unlock your main startup disk. At this point, your Mac has minimal resources loaded (only what's sufficient for you to unlock your Mac). However, I was able to use a wireless USB Logitech mouse on my 2016 MacBook Pro on the FileVault login screen.

An easy way to tell whether FileVault is enabled is to check whether a Sleep button appears on the login screen immediately after you restart your Mac. If it does, FileVault is OFF. If it doesn't, FileVault is ON.

If FileVault is enabled on your Mac, you can store an unlock key in memory and bypass FileVault on the next restart by executing one of the below commands: (must be administrator to execute; requires admin password)

Immediate restart: sudo fdesetup authrestart

Delayed restart: sudo fdesetup authrestart -delayminutes NumberOfMinutesToWait

Wait for manual restart: sudo fdesetup authrestart -delayminutes -1

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2018 3:19 PM in response to JesseTNC

Hi JesseTNC,

You can also use the arrow keys to select a user account to log into.

Is FileVault enabled on your Mac? If so, this might explain the issue: macOS hasn't been booted yet. Because the operating system itself is encrypted (along with all of your data), your Mac boots to an alternative volume and presents a login window to permit you to unlock your main startup disk. At this point, your Mac has minimal resources loaded (only what's sufficient for you to unlock your Mac). However, I was able to use a wireless USB Logitech mouse on my 2016 MacBook Pro on the FileVault login screen.

An easy way to tell whether FileVault is enabled is to check whether a Sleep button appears on the login screen immediately after you restart your Mac. If it does, FileVault is OFF. If it doesn't, FileVault is ON.

If FileVault is enabled on your Mac, you can store an unlock key in memory and bypass FileVault on the next restart by executing one of the below commands: (must be administrator to execute; requires admin password)

Immediate restart: sudo fdesetup authrestart

Delayed restart: sudo fdesetup authrestart -delayminutes NumberOfMinutesToWait

Wait for manual restart: sudo fdesetup authrestart -delayminutes -1

Aug 11, 2018 11:40 AM in response to JesseTNC

Bluetooth devices become unresponsive

Bluetooth Interference Sources

Bluetooth Interference Sources (2)

Bluetooth Quick Assist

Bluetooth Wireless Problems

Bluetooth Hardware Module Reset

If your Wi-Fi is capable of generating a 5 GHz signal, try that.

Restart the computer holding down the command - option/alt - P - R keys before the gray screen appears. Continue to hold until you hear the startup chime for the second time. You may need to do this several times.

Reset NVRAM/PRAM

Aug 11, 2018 12:21 PM in response to Eric Root

The mouse works fine after login. It's *just* at the initial user screen where it is unresponsive (and from there I don't have access to system preferences or anything to check status). It's a brand new mouse, turned on, charged up, and has zero connectivity issues after login. I would just very much like to use it TO log in...

Restart the computer holding down the command - option/alt - P - R keys before the gray screen appears. Continue to hold until you hear the startup chime for the second time. You may need to do this several times.

I'm not sure what this is supposed to do, but I will try it.

Aug 11, 2018 12:26 PM in response to Eric Root

I tried this (not sure what you meant about the Wi-Fi part) but it didn't seem to do anything.

Bluetooth Mouse Not Recognized at Restart (High Sierra Macbook Pro)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.