Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dock Problems

I recently upgraded to high sierra and I can't alter the dock, that is, remove icons which are there or add new ones. If i delete an application the icon turns into a question mark but stays stuck even after selecting the "remove from dock option". New icons added to dock disappear on restart, this is very frustrating, please help!

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Aug 11, 2018 12:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2018 1:04 PM

Reinstall High Sierra.

Reinstall El Capitan or Later Without Erasing Drive

Please be sure you back up.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately at the chime press and hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo and progress indicator appear. Wait for the Utility Menu to appear.
  2. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  3. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.
  4. Click on the First Aid icon in the toolbar. Wait until the Done button activates, then click on it.
  5. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  6. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Also, see this User Tip: Basic Steps for Upgrading OS X.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2018 1:04 PM in response to shailafromnairobi

Reinstall High Sierra.

Reinstall El Capitan or Later Without Erasing Drive

Please be sure you back up.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately at the chime press and hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo and progress indicator appear. Wait for the Utility Menu to appear.
  2. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  3. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.
  4. Click on the First Aid icon in the toolbar. Wait until the Done button activates, then click on it.
  5. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  6. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Also, see this User Tip: Basic Steps for Upgrading OS X.

Dock Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.