Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A VPN option appeared in my iOS 11.4.1. Is this a free service from Apple?

is the VPN available in iOS settings a free service from Apple?

Posted on Aug 12, 2018 2:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2018 4:58 PM

Ok, so just because I turned it on and it appears on the home "bar" at the top of my phone next to the WiFi/cellular indicator, doesn't necessarily mean that I am actually connected to a VPN, correct?

4 replies

Aug 13, 2018 10:39 AM in response to CityCycler

If you went to Settings > VPN, and you enabled it, it would mean that you do have some VPN app running on your iPhone. Otherwise, it would fail to get enabled if no such app existed on the device.

This would also mean that any communications on this device will be going through that VPN connection to, what it seems at this point, an unknown VPN service. Again, this is NOT an Apple provided VPN service. You will need to review each of the apps on your device to see if any of them look unfamiliar. In the mean time, I would disable VPN until you are sure of who is providing the service.

Aug 12, 2018 2:59 PM in response to CityCycler

Not exactly. The VPN option allows you to create a VPN connection to a known VPN service. This service is NOT provided by Apple. For example, if you work for a company remotely and they provide VPN connectivity to their corporate network, you would create a VPN connection from your iPhone to their VPN server using this option.

A VPN option appeared in my iOS 11.4.1. Is this a free service from Apple?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.