Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App requires iOS 10 or later while iPhone's already updated

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to download an app from the App Store but I keep getting a pop-up saying "The application requires iOS 10 or later". My iPhone (iPhone SE) is already updated to iOS 11 so why wouldn't it download??? I still have PLENTY of space and I tried restarting the device but it still won't work.

Thanks,

Leanne

iPhone SE, iOS 11

Posted on Aug 13, 2018 12:44 PM

4 replies

Aug 14, 2018 8:46 AM in response to leannloveswhales

Greetings leannloveswhales,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities! I understand you're unable to download an app with your iPhone, as you receive an error message stating the software isn't updated to iOS 10, even though your iPhone is using iOS 11.

I suggest signing out of the iTunes & App Store, signing back in, and then testing the behavior. Keep in mind, music downloaded for offline listening as an Apple Music member would be removed when signing out of the iTunes Store. To sign out of the iTunes & App Store: tap Settings > iTunes & App Store. Then tap your Apple ID and select Sign Out. You can then sign back in through that setting, or as described in the following guide: Sign in to the iTunes Store on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, PC, or Apple TV

If the behavior persists, it would be helpful to know if this issue occurs with multiple applications you attempt to download from the App Store.

Kind regards.

Aug 15, 2018 1:16 PM in response to leannloveswhales

Hi Leann,

Thanks for following up with the additional information. Since this is happening with multiple apps, let's have you reinstall the iOS software on your iPhone using a computer with iTunes. Reinstalling the software won't cause you to lose data with your iPhone. However, I suggest creating a backup with iTunes or iCloud first: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Although the name of the support article is different than the issue you're experiencing, the steps for reinstalling the software of your iPhone can be found in the following guide: If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
Let me know how the provided suggestion works for you.
Cheers!

Aug 14, 2018 10:00 AM in response to sterling r

Hello sterling r,

Thank you for your reply. I've tried signing out and then in like you said but the problem still persists. I've already tried downloading multiple workout apps, a Harry Potter app as well as Fortnite. The same error message appeared with each one of them. I also tried turning the iPhone off while signed out and then signed in another time but the apps still won't download.

Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks again.

App requires iOS 10 or later while iPhone's already updated

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.