Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad blocked by scam

Suddenly, on my sister’s iPad a message appeared stating that it has been blocked because of illegal activity and asking my to call an "Apple" telephone number. I’m quite certain it’s a scam - how can I get out of it? Can’t turn off the iPad, or do anything else, the message + blockage won’t go away. I’m using my MacBook Air trying to assist her.

MacBook Air with 10.13.6

Posted on Aug 13, 2018 1:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2018 2:28 PM

That it worked means something (possibly the game, from the sounds of it) is causing her to be redirected to a scam site.

Have her close the game as she did Safari. That is, swipe it up and off the screen so it isn't running at all. Clear Safari again as above.

Now try moving around the web in Safari and use some other typical apps, but don't launch Words With Friends.

If the scam doesn't reappear, then you can make a fairly safe bet the game itself is the cause. If so, delete game and report the scam action it's causing to Apple.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2018 2:28 PM in response to Lynkaeus

That it worked means something (possibly the game, from the sounds of it) is causing her to be redirected to a scam site.

Have her close the game as she did Safari. That is, swipe it up and off the screen so it isn't running at all. Clear Safari again as above.

Now try moving around the web in Safari and use some other typical apps, but don't launch Words With Friends.

If the scam doesn't reappear, then you can make a fairly safe bet the game itself is the cause. If so, delete game and report the scam action it's causing to Apple.

iPad blocked by scam

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.