Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting to A1034 network in OS 9

I used to be able to do this in OS 9.2 on my Pismo G3 PowerBook. I am able to connect with OS. v10.4 on the same machine. I've tried everything. I even downloaded Classilla through OS v10.4 and transferred it to OS 9.2. How do I configure OS 9.2 to my network? The Pismo is the only machine on this network. What I need to do is download a driver for an Adaptec PCMCIA SCSI2 1480A card. I'm really not sure I need a driver. Adaptec says OS 9 supports this card but offers a driver anyway. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted on Aug 13, 2018 1:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2018 1:42 AM

If the A1034 AirPort Extreme Base Station is configured to use WPA security, it could explain why a connection with Mac OS X 10.4 works, while Mac OS 9 does not. However (if WPA is not used), it may also be a setup/configuration error under Mac OS 9. Generally speaking, if WPA is the problem, one could reconfigure a router/base station to temporarily use WEP, or no security at all, for a test.

Alternatively, if the Ethernet port of the PowerBook G3 FireWire/Pismo is OK, it ought to be posssible to connect this computer via a LAN port of your "modern" router. You would have to check that the appropriate control panel handling TCP/IP under Mac OS 9 is properly configured (connecting via Ethernet, and, normally, using DHCP).

Yet another alternative, could be to just download the (Mac OS 9) driver for the SCSI card under Mac OS X 10.4 (keep any encoding .bin or .hqx intact), and then switch to Mac OS 9 and carry out the decoding using StuffIt Expander there.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2018 1:42 AM in response to straycat23

If the A1034 AirPort Extreme Base Station is configured to use WPA security, it could explain why a connection with Mac OS X 10.4 works, while Mac OS 9 does not. However (if WPA is not used), it may also be a setup/configuration error under Mac OS 9. Generally speaking, if WPA is the problem, one could reconfigure a router/base station to temporarily use WEP, or no security at all, for a test.

Alternatively, if the Ethernet port of the PowerBook G3 FireWire/Pismo is OK, it ought to be posssible to connect this computer via a LAN port of your "modern" router. You would have to check that the appropriate control panel handling TCP/IP under Mac OS 9 is properly configured (connecting via Ethernet, and, normally, using DHCP).

Yet another alternative, could be to just download the (Mac OS 9) driver for the SCSI card under Mac OS X 10.4 (keep any encoding .bin or .hqx intact), and then switch to Mac OS 9 and carry out the decoding using StuffIt Expander there.

Aug 13, 2018 2:51 PM in response to straycat23

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/0/MA436/en_US/AirPortExtremeBaseStationSe tupGuide.pdf

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/0/MA563/en_US/PowerBookG3_FirewireSetting Up.PDF

Would it be correct to assume that you are trying to connect wirelessly to an A1034 AirPort Extreme Base Station (that is, not via Ethernet to the LAN port)?

Are you using an AirPort card in the PowerBook G3 FireWire/Pismo (that is, not a third-party Wi-Fi card in the PCMCIA/CardBus slot)? If so, please note the requirements for WPA, if this is the security protocol in use at the base station: AirPort Card: When You Can Join a WPA Network - Apple Support

You mentioned a SCSI card, Where does this card come into the picture?

Aug 13, 2018 4:26 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Yes, I am trying to connect wirelessly to the A1034 AirPort Extreme Base Station with my modem connected to the A1034 base station by ethernet wire to the WAN port. Not a wired ethernet connection. Wired LAN unfortunately won't connect either. I am using the onboard Airport Card that is inside the Pismo. I am understanding from the manual that I cannot join a WPA network unless I have OS v10.4 or later. This, however, is a parallel network to my "modern" network. I'm not joining anything. My 802.11ac base stations won't even recognize the A1034. Seems like I use to be able to connect to the internet on both OSv10.4 and OS 9 on the Pismo. I cannot remember how I did it.

The SCSI PCMCIA card is something I was trying to find a driver for by connecting to the Internet through OS 9. I may not even need it. Adaptec says the 1480 is supported in OS 9 but supplies a driver anyway. I may have to simply wait until I get the card to plug it in and see if it works.

Connecting to A1034 network in OS 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.