Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Mail email message cannot me downloaded or deleted

Hi! I want to delete an email message from my iPhone Mail app. I am using IMAP and this message has already been deleted on my MacBook Pro's Mail program. I've also checked my server, but the message is not on my server either.

But for some reason, there it is on my iPhone. When I click on it, I get the error, "this message has not been downloaded from the server". When I try to simply delete it, it appears to go, then poof - the next time I look, it's reappeared.

What's going on and how to do nix this cycle of stubborn invisibility?

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 11.4.1

Posted on Aug 13, 2018 9:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2018 12:07 PM

Hi tonyakay13,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. It's my understanding you've been unable to delete an email from Mail on your iPhone. I can see how this could be a bit confusing as the email is gone on other devices. I'm happy to help.

If you haven't already, I recommend using the steps below to remove the account and add it again:

Remove your email account and set it up again

1. On your computer, sign in to your email provider’s website. Make sure that all of your email is there or make sure that your email is saved somewhere other than your iOS device.
  2. On your iOS device, go to Settings > Accounts & Passwords.
  3. Tap the email account that you want to remove.
  4. Tap Delete Account.
  5. Add your account again.
If you can't send or receive emails on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Let us know the results. Please include any other troubleshooting steps you may have tried.

Have a great day!
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2018 12:07 PM in response to tonyakay13

Hi tonyakay13,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. It's my understanding you've been unable to delete an email from Mail on your iPhone. I can see how this could be a bit confusing as the email is gone on other devices. I'm happy to help.

If you haven't already, I recommend using the steps below to remove the account and add it again:

Remove your email account and set it up again

1. On your computer, sign in to your email provider’s website. Make sure that all of your email is there or make sure that your email is saved somewhere other than your iOS device.
  2. On your iOS device, go to Settings > Accounts & Passwords.
  3. Tap the email account that you want to remove.
  4. Tap Delete Account.
  5. Add your account again.
If you can't send or receive emails on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Let us know the results. Please include any other troubleshooting steps you may have tried.

Have a great day!

iPhone Mail email message cannot me downloaded or deleted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.