Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade memory on 2018 MacBook Pro?

I just ordered a 2018 MacBook Pro with 15" screen and went with the standard 16 GB of memory. I can't seem to find a direct answer anywhere on the internet for the following question: Is it possible to upgrade this to 32 GB in the future, even if it means paying a fee for Apple to perform the installation?

Posted on Aug 14, 2018 7:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2018 8:03 AM

Problem 1) Except for the new i9 processor available on the latest MacBook Pro, none of the other processors used in MacBook Pro models have the Hardware capability to address more than 16GB of RAM, ever.

Problem 2) For greatly increased reliability, recent MacBook Pro memory and drive components are not in sockets, they are soldered directly to the mainboard using surface-mount technology. No upgrades of RAM Memory or Internal Drives are possible after purchase.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2018 8:03 AM in response to 2xUeL

Problem 1) Except for the new i9 processor available on the latest MacBook Pro, none of the other processors used in MacBook Pro models have the Hardware capability to address more than 16GB of RAM, ever.

Problem 2) For greatly increased reliability, recent MacBook Pro memory and drive components are not in sockets, they are soldered directly to the mainboard using surface-mount technology. No upgrades of RAM Memory or Internal Drives are possible after purchase.

Aug 14, 2018 8:07 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I do have the newest MBP and there was a 32 GB RAM option, but I'm confident that I'll be fine with 16 GB RAM. The most memory-intensive stuff I do involves digital audio workstation software running relatively low track counts with minimal plugins.

I also want to add that the reason I asked this question here is because I read some things online about the new MBP memory not being *user* accessible, which in my mind left open the possibility that Apple may be able to perform the upgrade themselves...looks like they can't...good to know.

Aug 14, 2018 8:53 AM in response to babowa

"Do it yourself" is not really an option any more. Surface-mount technology means you need some very specialized tools, including a board-heater that runs upwards of US$2,000. and special soldering irons as well. There is also a slight risk it may never work again.

This situation is like upgrading the engine in a car to the bigger engine that was available as an option when the car was new.

While this is also possible, it is so expensive you are far better off converting your current working device into Cash (by selling it) and buying a different (new or used) model that better meets your needs.

Aug 14, 2018 9:20 AM in response to 2xUeL

I can't seem to find a direct answer anywhere on the internet for the following question: Is it possible to upgrade this to 32 GB in the future, even if it means paying a fee for Apple to perform the installation?

That's because it's common knowledge that it is not possible. If you wanted 32 GBs, you needed to specify that at the time of purchase.

Aug 14, 2018 9:36 AM in response to 2xUeL

Cave people aside, user upgradable RAM on MacBook Pros disappeared 6 years ago with the introduction of Mid 2012 models. There was much complaining about it when it happened, but since it all started with the introduction of the MacBook Air in 2008, 10 years ago, it was pretty much handwriting on the wall.

Upgrade memory on 2018 MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.