Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to use iCloud Photo Library without putting all of the photos on my iPhone?

The storage is almost full on my phone so i was wanting to enable the iCloud photo library. The only problem is that I have A LOT of pictures saved on my iCloud from previous phones and such. Am i able to enable the icloud photo library without having to download all of these photos to my current phone?

Posted on Aug 15, 2018 8:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2018 8:34 PM

Sorry, not sure what you mean when you indicate that you have a lot of photos saved to iCloud from previous devices. Does that mean that you had iCloud Photo Library turned on in the past? If so, then photos in the Library will be on your device as well as on iCloud if you turn it on.

iCloud Photo Library is not an archival storage service. It is a syncing/sharing service, so it's primary job is to keep the Photos Library in sync across all devices and computers that have iCloud Photo Library turned on.

If you need to offload photos for storage purposes, you can either import them to your computer: PHOTO IMPORT IOS TO MAC/PC, or you can use an archival cloud service like Dropbox, Flikr, Amazon Photos, Google Photos, etc.

Best,

GB

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2018 8:34 PM in response to ksukels

Sorry, not sure what you mean when you indicate that you have a lot of photos saved to iCloud from previous devices. Does that mean that you had iCloud Photo Library turned on in the past? If so, then photos in the Library will be on your device as well as on iCloud if you turn it on.

iCloud Photo Library is not an archival storage service. It is a syncing/sharing service, so it's primary job is to keep the Photos Library in sync across all devices and computers that have iCloud Photo Library turned on.

If you need to offload photos for storage purposes, you can either import them to your computer: PHOTO IMPORT IOS TO MAC/PC, or you can use an archival cloud service like Dropbox, Flikr, Amazon Photos, Google Photos, etc.

Best,

GB

Is there a way to use iCloud Photo Library without putting all of the photos on my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.