Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad Amazon gift card scam

Using Ipad with safari.

Keep getting this Amazon won gift card scam.

Have cleared website data and history and it goes away for awhile.

Then somehow it comes back.

Thought apple was free from virus.

Don't have this on pc.

How to get rid of it and not come back?

iPad Wi-Fi

Posted on Aug 16, 2018 10:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2018 10:54 AM

Ads on web sites have nothing to do with malware. They're just ads. The Amazon gift card ad is particularly obnoxious.

A site allows a company that runs ad servers to put ads on their site for xxx dollars per month. The ad company determines what ads are shown in rotation on that site. What you see depends on who's paying the ad server to push the their ads.

Basically, if you keep going to the same sites, you'll keep seeing the same ads. Best solution right now is to install an ad blocker from the App Store. There are more than a few free ones to choose from.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2018 10:54 AM in response to Oxnarduser

Ads on web sites have nothing to do with malware. They're just ads. The Amazon gift card ad is particularly obnoxious.

A site allows a company that runs ad servers to put ads on their site for xxx dollars per month. The ad company determines what ads are shown in rotation on that site. What you see depends on who's paying the ad server to push the their ads.

Basically, if you keep going to the same sites, you'll keep seeing the same ads. Best solution right now is to install an ad blocker from the App Store. There are more than a few free ones to choose from.

Aug 17, 2018 6:55 AM in response to Oxnarduser

You said you're using an iPad. So unless you've jailbroken your device, there is no malware on it. None.

What you're seeing is a simple JavaScript action. As has been true of web browsers since almost the beginning is they store data of the sites you visit in a cache on your device. It's there so the next time you go to a previously visited site, it can pull most of the elements from your local cache rather than from the remote server every single time. This speeds up the overall experience, which is the entire point of the cache's existence.

The cache contains JavaScript code that is saved with the rest of the cached items. Once collected from a site that runs these ads, simply by being there, it runs in a persistent state, calling on the same ad server. You clear the cache, it's gone. You use the Internet again where the same JavaScript action is, it gets saved to the cache again and you start all over.

JavaScript isn't malware. It's how much of the web works. You can turn it off and that will stop any ads that use JavaScript to push them in your face, but then most of the web also won't function as you expect.

Using an ad blocker stops the ads from being sent to your device in the first place. This also prevents the JavaScript action from running and being saved to the cache.

Also, making even mild threats are very much frowned upon by the hosts. You'll find yourself banned if you keep that up.

Aug 17, 2018 7:43 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Thank you for the clarification.

Clearing the web data and history does remove the ad.

This one is called us.XXXXX.date.

Because I like the sites I go to and they should be reputable like sports,

news sites, and travel. But they do have to generate income by ads.

Right now I know what the url in web data to delete and will just keep

deleting it when it comes back.

Will consider adblocker in the future.

It is like the terrible tv ads where I guess you have to turn off the sound or change

the channel while on.

Aug 17, 2018 7:51 AM in response to Oxnarduser

I use an ad blocker on all of my Macs and iOS devices. Makes using the web much more enjoyable when you're not being hammered with ads.

You likely recall the law that was passed making it illegal for advertisers to record their ads at a higher volume than the shows they're placed in. They did do that, but people notice they seem louder anyway. It's a trick they use to do that. Listen closely to them. There's not much bass. They push the volume of the higher frequencies, which we hear more easily than lower tones. Overall, the decibel level is in accordance with the law, but they sound louder anyway because of how it's recorded.

Ipad Amazon gift card scam

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.