Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes deleted my music

So have been avoiding connecting my iphone to my new macbook for this very reason, but just connected to add a song to my itunes library on my phone. I made sure I selected "manually manage music" and itunes STILL took it upon itself to delete most of my library of carefully curated music and playlists. It's so insanely frustrating that hours and hours of time spent is just gone because of a new computer.

This is not the first time this sort of thing has happened either. It makes me hate that our only option these days is itunes. makes me miss the 90s.

other than reloading every item from a hard drive and spending hoursremaking my playlists i don't see any other option, if there is one please let me know.

Thanks

Posted on Aug 19, 2018 1:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2018 6:05 AM

Hey Sapph,

Does your original music library still exist somewhere, like on your old computer? Or in a Time Machine backup?

The thing to do with a new computer is to transfer your existing iTunes library, by dragging the entire iTunes folder (including all subfolders, media files, etc) to the new location. This way, when you plug in the phone, it will in effect be syncing with the same library as before, thus preserving your playlists and everything else.

Here's some detailed info about that: How to move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2018 6:05 AM in response to sapph33

Hey Sapph,

Does your original music library still exist somewhere, like on your old computer? Or in a Time Machine backup?

The thing to do with a new computer is to transfer your existing iTunes library, by dragging the entire iTunes folder (including all subfolders, media files, etc) to the new location. This way, when you plug in the phone, it will in effect be syncing with the same library as before, thus preserving your playlists and everything else.

Here's some detailed info about that: How to move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Support

Aug 19, 2018 6:06 AM in response to sapph33

Ideally you would have a backup of your iTunes library that was on your old computer, or you would have heeded the warning that the content on your device was going to be removed and replaced with that on the computer so that you could have reclaimed it using the advice in Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device or similar. Note that a manually managed iPhone can only be managed from one library.

tt2

itunes deleted my music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.