Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Documents and Sync using up all my data

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileI had most of my apps data usage turned off because the same thing happened the last data pack I purchased, and my data was still running out in record time. So I reset statistics when it hit 50% used up to see where all the usage was coming from and the next day I get the message I’ve used all of my data, despite being at home using wifi most of the day and not using my phone while I’m out, I find that ‘Documents & Sync’ has used the remaining 2 GB of data I had left. Very annoyed. iPhone 6s. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I need data for my work - maps etc.

Posted on Aug 19, 2018 9:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2018 12:15 AM

This will fix the issue temporarily, but isn't a good method if you want to use the benefits of having iCloud. You should go into your settings for cellular data usage, Settings>Cellular>Scroll to bottom and make sure iCloud Drive is not enabled.

As mentioned, logging out of iCloud and back in can sometimes resolve many issues with the syncing of your account as well.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2018 12:15 AM in response to KatieM41

This will fix the issue temporarily, but isn't a good method if you want to use the benefits of having iCloud. You should go into your settings for cellular data usage, Settings>Cellular>Scroll to bottom and make sure iCloud Drive is not enabled.

As mentioned, logging out of iCloud and back in can sometimes resolve many issues with the syncing of your account as well.

Aug 23, 2018 6:50 AM in response to whatastitchup

Hey! I had this issue. Very bad. 70 gb in less than 3 weeks. Easy fix, I know it may suck signing out of your apple ID but I signed out so my icloud isn’t signed in. Go to settings and right at the top, hit your name or apple ID and log out! I had a major problem where my data was super high on documents and sync and a very high battery usage causing my battery to die super quick! I know this isn’t the best fix but I finally found out after dealing with apple and trying to figure it out. Icloud will constantly sync with documents and data which causes the documents and sync which then causes the high data usage. Ever since logging out so my phone doesn’t use icloud, I have not used any data for 6 hours on documents and sync.

Aug 23, 2018 8:33 AM in response to mvan231

Hey mvan231,

I actually did turn off icloud drive in cellular data, and it didn’t make a difference at all. Its the phone that’s syncing with icloud, and staying in a constant state of syncing. Even with icloud drive off in the data section, my data still skyrocketed on ‘Documents and sync’

After two months of this constant high data usage, of using 100+ GB this month with my phone doing documents and sync. This was the thing I found to work and actually not sync like it was. In my settings it says that icloud is off. I can’t tell you how much of a big difference I see on battery usage and on my data usage. My phone used to die at work if I left my data on... now my phone won’t even die 1% when I’m working an 8 hour day and my data stays on.

This would make a difference for people who never want to use icloud, and I partially understand due to the low storage.

Aug 24, 2018 2:46 PM in response to mvan231

Just downloading like lets say instagram or any app, it would start right back up on that data usage. It was definitely odd. One thing I noticed before was when going into reset and acting like I was going to reset my phone, it would pop up with a message saying that documents and data would need to finish syncing with icloud, just a message that wouldn’t go away.

Documents and Sync using up all my data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.